5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp Research steps operating backwards - Any suggestions?

dieseldork

Reaction score
Hello friends, (Long time lurker; first time poster.)

I just completed installing the amp research steps on my 2019 Rebel. They work great... except they operate backwards. Meaning: With all of the doors shut, the steps are deployed. When I open any door, the steps go up into the stowed position.

I feel like the Amp controllers are properly aware of the door status (open/closed), because the 2 second delay does occur when the door is shut. When I open the door, the steps move to the stowed position immediately. When I shut the door, the steps deploy after a 2 second delay.

I mounted the motors to the arms with the arms in the deployed position; which from the best I could tell is what the illustrations in the instructions showed.

Any ideas? I plan to call tech support tomorrow, but if I could get it resolved today, that would be awesome.

Thanks all

Mikent

Reaction score
I had Amp power running boards added to my truck after they first became available. The dealership that installed them had the same issue. They contacted Amp and were told a few of the first sets shipped had been wired in reverse. The installer reversed the wiring on the both step motors and they’ve been working like they’re supposed to since.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I was told when I ordered my set. Reverse the wiring and all will be good. Sucks though because several have had to find this out the hard way.

dieseldork

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you both.

So, thinking through this in my mind... I can't just swap the wires without manipulating this thing just a bit... I don't think.

I think I'll need to:
1. shut the doors so that the steps deploy.
2. pull the fuse.
3. swap the wires.
4. open the doors.
5. reinstall the fuse.

That should put them in the proper position, then when the door shut, the motor would run in the proper direction.

Alternatively maybe....
1. I can pull the motors off the arms
2. open the doors so that the motors run
3. put the motors back on.
?

I'm probably overthinking it. What I'm afraid of is that if the motors have run in direction A and the steps are down. if I swap the wires, when I reconnect power that the motors will run in direction A a second time and screw up something (or everything).

Am I overthinking it? It's hard to wrap my brain around this. :)

Thanks again for the help.

onelochevy

Reaction score
Yep, reverse polarity. I bought my Lincoln MIG welder several years ago and when I opened it up and loaded it with a spool of wire it fed backwards. Had to take the side panel off and swap the leads on the motor.

Senior Chief

Reaction score
Good Morning Gents,
Just saw the thread about the AMP running boards.
I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago through autoplicity (p/n 7624001A ), they function fine. found them to be the best price (free shipping no sales tax) and they shipped direct from AMP to me.
Matter of fact I sent them a message how well designed they where and how the installation instructions where well written.

dieseldork

Reaction score
Mine function fine now that I swapped the wires. I'm glad others are loving their AMP running boards. As for me, I'm not so impressed unfortunately. In addition to having to rewire the motor plug, they also drop so far down that they're nearly pointless. They're closer to the ground than the cab, and even at 6'2" (185 lbs), I still have to use the grab handle to get up over the seat. While I can get in and out of the truck without steps, I prefer to have them on my truck to minimize seat wear. With these, I'm still dragging myself across the seat. I inquired with them about shorter arms, but that's not an available option.

Poor design for this particular vehicle in my opinion. It is just my opinion though. I'm glad others are pleased. :)

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
Mine function fine now that I swapped the wires. I'm glad others are loving their AMP running boards. As for me, I'm not so impressed unfortunately. In addition to having to rewire the motor plug, they also drop so far down that they're nearly pointless. They're closer to the ground than the cab, and even at 6'2" (185 lbs), I still have to use the grab handle to get up over the seat. While I can get in and out of the truck without steps, I prefer to have them on my truck to minimize seat wear. With these, I'm still dragging myself across the seat. I inquired with them about shorter arms, but that's not an available option.

Poor design for this particular vehicle in my opinion. It is just my opinion though. I'm glad others are pleased. :)

I'm 6'1" and have no issue dragging across the seat. My truck does have 3.5" lift and 35's so maybe the difference. I find them to be the perfect height.

silverback_82

Reaction score
So I just had the reverse issue as addressed above....

What wires are you saying to cut? There are many. Am I to cut the two purple wires and flip them? I can't imagine I am having to flip the wires that are under the hood.

silverback_82

Reaction score
I did cut the purple wires and swapped them. I cut them under the hood so it was easier to get to. Now they work correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread