5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aluminum Intake tube

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Outside the truck, it's a little louder overall. Inside the truck there's a little more "whooooshhhh" when you are on the throttle and then let off rapidly. But overall, the sound inside the truck isn't a lot louder. There is definitely more turbo noise, but it's not the huge increase I expected or wanted. The next time I drive it to town I'll get a video of interior sound. The exterior sound is in the video I posted to YouTube at about the 3:40 mark. I'll put a mic inside the cab this weekend and get sound clips.

jlortega

Reaction score
Definitely keep us updated
Well, my tube and catch can finally shipped last Friday. Hopefully they will get here this week sometime so I can get them installed. They also mentioned having a tune ready, but they currently require you to send in your ECM so they can reprogram it, so I was not able to do that at this time. Figured I'd throw that out there in case someone is interested.

JLO

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I received a tracking # last week but it still hasnt shipped, he told me they have a 2 week lead time, so i hope it comes by next week.
Let us know how that catch works out, been wanting to get one myself.

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score
I received a tracking # last week but it still hasnt shipped, he told me they have a 2 week lead time, so i hope it comes by next week.
Let us know how that catch works out, been wanting to get one myself.
Just some good to know info, being that I'm from Canada, I contacted the company on Instagram, to see if by a very very slim chance i lived close by, i could pick one up in person. The company is based out of Vancouver, however the intake tube is manufactured in Quebec.... considering i live in Ontario, Vancouver is definitely not worth the trip..... quebec however...a 6 hour drive lol

jlortega

Reaction score
Well, my tube and catch can finally shipped last Friday. Hopefully they will get here this week sometime so I can get them installed. They also mentioned having a tune ready, but they currently require you to send in your ECM so they can reprogram it, so I was not able to do that at this time. Figured I'd throw that out there in case someone is interested.

JLO
Finally got them in and it seems my clamps are missing. Shot them off an email to see what they say.....

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Finally got them in and it seems my clamps are missing. Shot them off an email to see what they say.....
That sucks bro.
How does the catch can look? and did they ever figure out the flow issues they were having with it?

Mine still hasn't shipped yet getting kind of antsy, I was hoping it would of came in this week as I'm home and next week I'm back on the road for a bit.

jlortega

Reaction score
That sucks bro.
How does the catch can look? and did they ever figure out the flow issues they were having with it?

Mine still hasn't shipped yet getting kind of antsy, I was hoping it would of came in this week as I'm home and next week I'm back on the road for a bit.
Catch can looks great. Have not installed it yet as I've been busy with work but I'm hoping to get around to it soon.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if this metal intake tube gets hotter than the plastic OE one does? Obviously you want the coolest air possible going into the turbo, and my guess is that engine heat surrounding a metal tube will heat soak it more than a plastic tube, but I have no idea if the temp difference would be significant or not.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I thought about that as well, I may wrap mine in some type of heat reflective tape.
Mine is finally on the move, last update said it was in New York, so it will come in after I leave for Txs this weekend :(

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I've run with the engine cover on and the intake box snorkel on (the ductwork that goes from the air box to the grille). That seems to give a little more diesel rattle in the cab but a little less turbo whoosh. I've also run with the engine cover off and the intake snorkel off. That seems to give a little more turbo whoosh but less diesel rattle. Funny how minor changes affect sound and driveability.

Overall though, the sound difference isn't much. They said they're working on intercooler pipes too. Apparently there's a sound baffle in one of those as well. I wonder if that would make any difference?

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
So I've run with the engine cover on and the intake box snorkel on (the ductwork that goes from the air box to the grille). That seems to give a little more diesel rattle in the cab but a little less turbo whoosh. I've also run with the engine cover off and the intake snorkel off. That seems to give a little more turbo whoosh but less diesel rattle. Funny how minor changes affect sound and driveability.

Overall though, the sound difference isn't much. They said they're working on intercooler pipes too. Apparently there's a sound baffle in one of those as well. I wonder if that would make any difference?
Mine was finally delivered on Tuesday just sucks I'm not home to install it.
Did they say when the intercooler pipes would be ready to ship? I'm intrested in that and the catch can, but the last email I received mentioned they were having flow issues and it was causing a check engine light.

HST

Reaction score
the housing the vent hose comes out of is a oil separator from the factory , i dont know yet how effective it is but i have been checking the inside of the vent hose to
determine how much blow-bye there is . I have a Provent 200 and all hoses to connect it up once i decide to do it .

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
the housing the vent hose comes out of is a oil separator from the factory , i dont know yet how effective it is but i have been checking the inside of the vent hose to
determine how much blow-bye there is . I have a Provent 200 and all hoses to connect it up once i decide to do it .
Post up about the install once you get around to it, I'm interested to learn more about it.

Users who are viewing this thread