5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlphaOBD voiding warranty?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 120139 this is the device I'm talking about. Its connected to the standard odb2 connector which you can see still connected in the factory location in the kickpanel. The OBD connector has a Curt Manufactoring sticker on it. I didnt record the p/n but how its put in looks factory. But that module in my hand looks odd. It has the s/n and fcc number, but I have no idea what it is.
That is not a factory item.

An FCC number means it is a transmitter of some type....likely one of the ******** tracking devices I was talking about. Guess I wasn't so off-base after all!

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has me thinking. When I was hooking up the Koadtech bypass, there is another ODB2 style connector just above the actual ODB2 connector tucked behind the kick panel. It had a blue device plugged in, similar to my OBDlink. Anyone know what this is?

NorthStar, that sounds close to what she was saying. Basically they were saying that #1, their obd2 reader couldn't read my code, and #2 that they could tell in addition to the "programmer" that things were changed, so therefore they couldn't do it. I don't believe #1 because I can plug in my OBDlink and pull the codes, and I can use the scanner from Autozone and pull the code as well. #2 I could see, but I am also wondering if because it was an eco diesel, and I live in Delaware, no one wants to touch the truck.
It's possible their wi-tech scan tool software needs a good handshake with the security gateway to function. This aftermarket module a dealer added may be interfering with said handshake.

bonce

Reaction score
Only problem with taking it back to the dealer I bought it from is that I live in Delaware. Light duty diesels are not well liked here and I couldn't find any when I was in the market for one near me. So I flew to Atlanta GA and bought this truck and drove it back. So I can not take it back to the dealer I bought it from.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only problem with taking it back to the dealer I bought it from is that I live in Delaware. Light duty diesels are not well liked here and I couldn't find any when I was in the market for one near me. So I flew to Atlanta GA and bought this truck and drove it back. So I can not take it back to the dealer I bought it from.
If it is what I think it is you can remove it and put the factory connector where it belongs. It won't harm your truck. If anything leaving it is just gonna cause you problems. At best it is a constant drain on your battery, at worst these have been known to be the cause of some ridiculous electrical system gremlins. I'd remove it ASAP.

That and bring it to a different dealer since I get the feeling they were just making **** up to get you out the door for whatever reason. There's no way they haven't seen a similar device before. The practice of putting aftermarket trackers on new vehicles is pretty widespread. They were originally intended to manage inventory but dealers found a way to scam people into paying $$$ for these trackers as a secondary profit source.

What dealer in Atlanta did you buy from, if you don't mind? Just wanna see if they advertise these sort of ridiculous add-ons.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
View attachment 120139 this is the device I'm talking about. Its connected to the standard odb2 connector which you can see still connected in the factory location in the kickpanel. The OBD connector has a Curt Manufactoring sticker on it. I didnt record the p/n but how its put in looks factory. But that module in my hand looks odd. It has the s/n and fcc number, but I have no idea what it is.
The factory OBDII plug is attached to the bottom of the dash, to the left of the hood release. Yours appears to be free floating and not connected to the dash and your connector looks white. The factory OBDII plug is black.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The factory OBDII plug is attached to the bottom of the dash, to the left of the hood release. Yours appears to be free floating and not connected to the dash and your connector looks white. The factory OBDII plug is black.
It's a pass-through connector. Likely so it can draw power for that tracking device.

bonce

Reaction score
If it is what I think it is you can remove it and put the factory connector where it belongs. It won't harm your truck.

That and bring it to a different dealer since I get the feeling they were just making **** up to get you out the door for whatever reason. There's no way they haven't seen a similar device before. The practice of putting aftermarket trackers on new vehicles is pretty widespread. They were originally intended to manage inventory but dealers found a way to scam people into paying $$$ for these trackers as a secondary profit source.

If anything it's just gonna cause you problems. It's a constant drain on your battery, get rid of it.

What dealer in Atlanta did you buy from, if you don't mind? Just wanna see if they advertise these sort of ridiculous add-ons.
I bought it from Landmark Ram. Nothing was said to me about it at time of purchase about a tracking device. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they'll admit they put something on it. Is this the correct plug? The one the red connector is plugged into? It's a black OBD style connector.

Attachments

• 20220209_220454.jpg
    20220209_220454.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 77

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought it from Landmark Ram. Nothing was said to me about it at time of purchase about a tracking device. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they'll admit they put something on it. Is this the correct plug? The one the red connector is plugged into? It's a black OBD style connector.
Yes, remove all that ****. Put the black connector back into the kick panel. I assume the circled bundle of wires leads to the connector in the kick panel?

1644462859598.png

Also, no wonder dealer couldn't read anything. The connector in your kick panel doesn't even seem to be wired the same as the OEM connector. If you do end up going back to the same dealer show them this tracker and say it was installed by the RAM dealer you bought it from. It is not a programmer, it is a GPS tracker.

bonce

Reaction score
Yes, remove all that ****. Put the black connector back into the kick panel. I assume the circled bundle of wires leads to the connector in the kick panel?

View attachment 120151

Also, no wonder dealer couldn't read anything. The connector in your kick panel doesn't even seem to be wired the same as the OEM connector.
I'm going to go check. Thank you and to everyone else who commented. When I put the Koadtech in, I saw this and thought it was odd, but there are so many modules on these new trucks, and I bought it brand new, I didn't think anything of it. Landmark is going to be getting a phone call in the morning.

bonce

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your help. Anyone in the Atlanta area on here I would not recommend Landmark as a good dealer. To say I'm pissed at the moment is an understatement.

Attachments

• 20220209_222906.jpg
    20220209_222906.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 109

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad we could help, sorry this happened in the first place. Unfortunately lots of dealers are guilty of this practice.

Hope your fuel pressure issue is resolved quickly as well.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your help. Anyone in the Atlanta area on here I would not recommend Landmark as a good dealer. To say I'm pissed at the moment is an understatement.
Have you been able to get a dealer to diagnose your truck yet?

bonce

Reaction score
Have you been able to get a dealer to diagnose your truck yet?
I have not, but the light hasnt come back on either and I've driven it a couple hundred miles as well. When it was at the dealer they cleared the codes. The truck hasnt driven any different, even when the light was on so idk. Have to just wait and see if it pops back on a suppose.

SDewees

Reaction score
Even IF (a big if) that were the case then they would be able to identify exactly what that change was and therefore your warranty would be safe. The only things not covered would apply to the components you made changes to (and obviously self-installed hardware). It would be illegal for them to cancel an entire warranty without proof your changes caused the issue, and there is no way they'd be able to say a tire size change in the BCM would cause high fuel pressure in this case.

And like I've said, I have not had any issues with this. I've made dozens of changes with AlfaOBD and have had my truck in for warranty service several times. They plug into it every time and not once have they said anything about it.

Just curious as to what things you have changed with alpha? I am considering purchasing.

Longcorn

Reaction score
When is someone going to tell him why there’s a GPS on his financed truck or has he been told?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So if you you have a third party shop install larger rims and tires, and they use a programmer to update the BCM for this size, what would void all warranty? Doesn’t sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/