5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Almost a new owner

Silvertree

Reaction score
So I almost bought a new Ram 1500 Limited but didn't due to a comedy of errors.

I saw a few of the new Rams driving around town and got curious enough to hit the dealership for a test ride. Secretly I was hoping not to like it so I could move on with life. However, I could not believe how quiet and smooth the Limited was even on bumpy roads. The dealership offered me a price that wasn't worth my time. I decided to hold off.

A couple of weeks later I got dusted in my CX-9 out on interstate by a semi. It put two small dents in the hood, one in the grill, and pitted my windshield. I knew I was considering a trade so I wanted to get that fixed before hand as my insurance deductible is ridiculously low and I thought I would easily make it up in the trade when I decided to move forward. I made an appointment at a body shop that I had received excellent service at in the past. They said drop it off on Monday 24 Jun and we will have it ready on Thursday 27 June. Great, no problem.

In the mean time I saw the June incentives so I called the local dealership. The pickup they had was sold. I started looking around a bit more and found the perfect truck about four hours away. I called to discuss it and they gave me an exceptionally good OTD offer. I let them know that the vehicle was in to get those dents fixed and I wanted to talk it over with my wife but I was pretty committed to buying. We talked it over and decided to move forward.

Thursday morning at around 9AM I received a call from the collision center that they needed an extra day. No worries, I wasn't planning on getting the pickup until Saturday. I let him know I needed the pickup before the weekend. Yep, he said, no problem. Friday at 10:30 I get another call. The hood paint didn't match well enough, it has to be repainted. I told him again that I needed the vehicle before the weekend. No problem, it should be ready before the end of the day. I finished work at 4, drove down there, and found the person handling the repair. Uh, it's prepped but the hoods not painted. It won't be ready until Monday.

Now I am getting upset. I let him have it and told him for the 3rd or 4th time what was going on. Okay, okay, it should be ready Monday. Monday morning I stop in to talk to the general manager. Yes, we can have it ready by 1 or 2 pm. I thought it would be tight but I could make it even if it was a long time in the vehicle with my 6 year old and 8 year old. I bet you can see where this is going? I call at 2 only to find out that now they are waiting on the guy to calibrate the heads up display on the windshield. It should be done by the end of the day. Except it wasn't. It wasn't done by noon the following day, like they said, either. Finally at 6 on Tuesday they called to tell me it was ready to go.

I kept in contact with the dealership as all this was going. They told me there wasn't anything they could do about the 1 July end date. We talked on the 3rd after the prices went back up. I was still willing to drive down and write a check but no joy. I don't blame the dealership, it certainly wasn't their fault. But I just can't see paying an additional $10k for the pickup at this time. Telling the story now makes me laugh. I am relocating at the end of July to a different state and while it would really be nice to have the cargo room I've decided I will see what happens with next months incentives or maybe wait for the 2020s. In the mean time I've enjoyed looking around these forums so I thought I would share the story so someone else could get a laugh out of it.

pgrant3491

Reaction score
That is unfortunate, but I think you were smart to delay purchasing due to current incentives. Hopefully August is better!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I almost bought a new Ram 1500 Limited but didn't due to a comedy of errors.

I saw a few of the new Rams driving around town and got curious enough to hit the dealership for a test ride. Secretly I was hoping not to like it so I could move on with life. However, I could not believe how quiet and smooth the Limited was even on bumpy roads. The dealership offered me a price that wasn't worth my time. I decided to hold off.

A couple of weeks later I got dusted in my CX-9 out on interstate by a semi. It put two small dents in the hood, one in the grill, and pitted my windshield. I knew I was considering a trade so I wanted to get that fixed before hand as my insurance deductible is ridiculously low and I thought I would easily make it up in the trade when I decided to move forward. I made an appointment at a body shop that I had received excellent service at in the past. They said drop it off on Monday 24 Jun and we will have it ready on Thursday 27 June. Great, no problem.

In the mean time I saw the June incentives so I called the local dealership. The pickup they had was sold. I started looking around a bit more and found the perfect truck about four hours away. I called to discuss it and they gave me an exceptionally good OTD offer. I let them know that the vehicle was in to get those dents fixed and I wanted to talk it over with my wife but I was pretty committed to buying. We talked it over and decided to move forward.

Thursday morning at around 9AM I received a call from the collision center that they needed an extra day. No worries, I wasn't planning on getting the pickup until Saturday. I let him know I needed the pickup before the weekend. Yep, he said, no problem. Friday at 10:30 I get another call. The hood paint didn't match well enough, it has to be repainted. I told him again that I needed the vehicle before the weekend. No problem, it should be ready before the end of the day. I finished work at 4, drove down there, and found the person handling the repair. Uh, it's prepped but the hoods not painted. It won't be ready until Monday.

Now I am getting upset. I let him have it and told him for the 3rd or 4th time what was going on. Okay, okay, it should be ready Monday. Monday morning I stop in to talk to the general manager. Yes, we can have it ready by 1 or 2 pm. I thought it would be tight but I could make it even if it was a long time in the vehicle with my 6 year old and 8 year old. I bet you can see where this is going? I call at 2 only to find out that now they are waiting on the guy to calibrate the heads up display on the windshield. It should be done by the end of the day. Except it wasn't. It wasn't done by noon the following day, like they said, either. Finally at 6 on Tuesday they called to tell me it was ready to go.

I kept in contact with the dealership as all this was going. They told me there wasn't anything they could do about the 1 July end date. We talked on the 3rd after the prices went back up. I was still willing to drive down and write a check but no joy. I don't blame the dealership, it certainly wasn't their fault. But I just can't see paying an additional $10k for the pickup at this time. Telling the story now makes me laugh. I am relocating at the end of July to a different state and while it would really be nice to have the cargo room I've decided I will see what happens with next months incentives or maybe wait for the 2020s. In the mean time I've enjoyed looking around these forums so I thought I would share the story so someone else could get a laugh out of it.
And sometimes, God (or the universe) is giving you a sign...

Users who are viewing this thread