5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alaska Shop Recommendation

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be driving from SoCal to Alaska this August via BC and crossing via Chicken, AK.
With the way that my trip is planned, I should hit ~5000 miles by the time I get to either Anchorage or Fairbanks (I'm doing Dalton Highway after exploring the southern parts).

I'm looking for a trusty shop to at least do an oil change.
alternatively, if there's any place that has lift access for me to put the truck up and do it myself that works too (I'm a tech myself so I have no problem doing everything)

thanks!

mert34

Reaction score
If passing through wasilla, wasilla lube express on swanson ave is a quick in and out service. Dealerships are horrible here with wait times of 8-10 hours for a oil change.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If passing through wasilla, wasilla lube express on swanson ave is a quick in and out service. Dealerships are horrible here with wait times of 8-10 hours for a oil change.
holy smokes 8-10 hours for oil change?!

mert34

Reaction score
Yeah last time I showed up a couple weeks ago at the dealer at 730 am I was told that they might get to it around 2-4pm and it was the same last time I was there. Joke really.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah last time I showed up a couple weeks ago at the dealer at 730 am I was told that they might get to it around 2-4pm and it was the same last time I was there. Joke really.
damn... can i just borrow their lift and their oil catch and do it myself LOL

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you were coming through my area I'd say come by and have at it. Maybe a member along your route will make a similar offer. Otherwise, bring the oil, filter, and drain pan and change the oil yourself near a recycling center along your route and dump the used oil. If you don't want to carry used/oily drain pan afterwards just leave it at the recycling center.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you were coming through my area I'd say come by and have at it. Maybe a member along your route will make a similar offer. Otherwise, bring the oil, filter, and drain pan and change the oil yourself near a recycling center along your route and dump the used oil. If you don't want to carry used/oily drain pan afterwards just leave it at the recycling center.
never thought about the recycling center trick!
that's actually good idea.

AKBrad

Reaction score
You must be going to the wrong dealer then. I was in and out of Anchorage Chryser Dodge Jeep RAM after 45 minutes and that was only because I also had the tires rotated. Oil change and all filters.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You must be going to the wrong dealer then. I was in and out of Anchorage Chryser Dodge Jeep RAM after 45 minutes and that was only because I also had the tires rotated. Oil change and all filters.
I got full skid plate on my truck and a Fumoto valve... is Anchorage CJDR mod friendly?
(also I don't want them to replace my filter. we never replace oil filter right before or during a long trip going places far away)

AKBrad

Reaction score
I got full skid plate on my truck and a Fumoto valve... is Anchorage CJDR mod friendly?
(also I don't want them to replace my filter. we never replace oil filter right before or during a long trip going places far away)
No idea. My truck is pretty much stock. I also only have 5000 miles on it (and it's a '22). I will say that the maintenance shop there has been very good and responsive to me. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread