5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airs bags needed

sparky01

Reaction score
So I had 2012 Ram 4x2 that I installed air bags on the back because the coils like to sag under a load. I have a travel trailer that weighs around 6k and I fill the bed with gear when towing. I just bought a 19 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4. My question is do the new rams still have the sag problem when hauling/towing heavy loads? Do I need to install rear air bags?
Thanks

raven_DT

Reaction score
Same coil setup. Have you tried Timbrens?
A 6K TT could reduce your payload up to 900#, so depending on how much you load up your truck you may be exceeding your payload rating.

sparky01

Reaction score
Same coil setup. Have you tried Timbrens?
A 6K TT could reduce your payload up to 900#, so depending on how much you load up your truck you may be exceeding your payload rating.

Thanks for replying my TT is stored about an hour away and I wanted to get set up before I try to tow it. I have not tried the Timbrens, I had the Airlift pillows that fit in between the coils on my old truck but I would like a better setup for this truck.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re not overloading the truck and you have a good weight distribution hitch that’s properly setup you shouldn’t have a sag problem.

With my 2015 Laramie, I routinely towed my travel trailer (840 tongue weight) with 300-500 pounds of cargo and 2 passengers. Used the Blue Ox Swaypro and the truck sat perfectly level. Rear GAWR and GVWR weight were close to max but never any sag.

On my 2019 I now have the air suspension and it works great for towing.

tobyw

Reaction score
I installed the Airlift in-coil bags immediately after my first towing experience. The truck sat level when loaded, which was fine and essentially per design, but I knew that I would be installing a suspension kit that would reduce/eliminate the factory rake entirely, which equates to sag when you hitch up a trailer. Been pretty happy with the Airlift setup for my needs.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 22’ enclosed car hauler that is about 8,000 lbs. I do not need any airbags and the truck looks good. I did use air bags in my 2010, but only after I added a 4” lift that removed the factory rake. I used the bags so it didn’t look nose high. Without a level kit, and only 6,000 lbs, you shouldn’t need them. I definitely recommend a good load distribution hitch though like others have also said.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I tow TTs for a living with a half ton diesel Ram. To the tune of 600k plus miles. With 6k TT all you should need is a well set up WDH ideally with built in sway control. Sometimes I overload it by also putting a Harley fuel tools etc in the bed others often do it with firewood beverage coolers etc. In which case air bags can be a great tool in addition to your WDH but the WDH should always be your first and foremost tool when towing.

The bags should be used more for suspension support, control, and dampening, and not needed for sag. If you have sag you have weight transfer off your steer axle which is all bad and bags alone can only help to a point afterwhich they compound the problem as the drive axle becomes a teater toter axle fulcrum. Also there is still a practical limit here. If per the truck stop scales your truck axles total more than 8k you simply need a bigger truck as you are getting beyond the brakes CVWR etc.

BTW I have had great luck with the Andersen WDH and like the Timbergrove airbag setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread