5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension

Those with air suspension - what mode do you drive in?

• Off Road

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Aero

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious what is used the most. I left Off Road 2 and Entry/Exit off because I don't think the truck will stay in those when driving above 20 mph.

While I don't have a truck to test yet, the owner's manual (p 320-322) states that you can't drive normally in some of these modes. On a non-ORP truck, OR1 will automatically drop to Normal after 20 sec at 40mph or if you hit 50. Aero will revert back to Normal after 20 sec under 35 or if you slow down to 30. Entry/Exit will be cancelled if more than 60sec between 15-25 or instantly above 25mph.

Please let me know if this is not the case. I just don't see how you can drive around in another mode at speed.

It also doesn't bring into play an air suspension with the Off-Road Package where OR1 height becomes the new Normal and OR2 becomes the new OR1.

Normal (default), but once I get to highway speeds, it auto defaults to aero mode. I have not had any issues with my suspension.

Edwards is correct, OR modes are speed dependent (for off-roading).

Cheers,
Neurobit

So the air suspension heights are different with the off road package? Didn't realize that, I assumed that air suspension was the same either way and that 1 in. lift only applied to the standard suspension.

A few others have confirmed. I plan to drive the ORP air suspension for a while and if I don't love driving in what's effectively OR1 I'm going to bribe the service manager and see if they can remove "increased ride height" from my computer build sheet. I suspect if that's possible it will give me back the original Normal and 5 positions again, even with the ORP.
It would also mean anyone with AS but no ORP could do the reverse for a free 1" lift.

I'm learning more stuff.... Thought the truck would stay in off road regardless of speed. I've been leaving mine in aero to help my 86 year old mother in law easier entry. It's low enough for her then I don't need to remember to drop it. Off Road 2 makes it easy to crawl under the truck. That's a plus.

I'm learning more stuff.... Thought the truck would stay in off road regardless of speed. I've been leaving mine in aero to help my 86 year old mother in law easier entry. It's low enough for her then I don't need to remember to drop it. Off Road 2 makes it easy to crawl under the truck. That's a plus.

FYI - You can always put it in entry/load mode which is even lower than aero if your mother-in-law needs better access. Just double click the FOB twice and it will lower on demand. Pretty handy.

Last edited:
While I don't have a truck to test yet, the owner's manual (p 320-322) states that you can't drive normally in some of these modes. On a non-ORP truck, OR1 will automatically drop to Normal after 20 sec at 40mph or if you hit 50. Aero will revert back to Normal after 20 sec under 35 or if you slow down to 30. Entry/Exit will be cancelled if more than 60sec between 15-25 or instantly above 25mph.

Please let me know if this is not the case. I just don't see how you can drive around in another mode at speed.

It also doesn't bring into play an air suspension with the Off-Road Package where OR1 height becomes the new Normal and OR2 becomes the new OR1.

Aero mode can be parked & driven in 24/7 if so desired and the truck will remember the setting until you change it again. If you use Normal, the Aero mode will automatically turn on/off, being speed based as you mentioned.

Aero mode can be parked & driven in 24/7 if so desired and the truck will remember the setting until you change it again. If you use Normal, the Aero mode will automatically turn on/off, being speed based as you mentioned.
Thanks - that's good to know. I just re-read the online owner's manual and this is not clear at all.

Do you have to disable automatic aero mode for it to hold it, or is it held when you manually select it?

Thanks - that's good to know. I just re-read the online owner's manual and this is not clear at all.

Do you have to disable automatic aero mode for it to hold it, or is it held when you manually select it?

Not sure but I would assume that you can leave the auto aero enabled since it would not cancel it out.

I have had mine on aero and it stays there regardless of speed. I did set it on normal Friday to see if there's a ride difference. None that I could feel. I'll likely just leave it on aero as long as I'm chauffeuring my mother in law.

@Neurobit - yeah, I've used that feature a couple of times. Problem is I forget until we're about to the truck. At that point, I just let them climb in as it sits in aero.

Well sweet! I may be able to just ride around in Aero if I think the ORP Normal is too high/rough without breaking any dealership bribery laws.

If someone was so inclined, you can set whatever ride height you like, turn the truck off, pull the compressor fuse and ride all day long, any speed, any height.

Dash will post 3 second "service air ride" warning, but only once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back