5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension manifold replacement DIY?

J33P

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a question, changing the air manifold on the 5th gen something I can do in my garage or is it something the dealer has to do because of the closed system with nitrogen? Have anyone done it? I would think putting it in transportation mode would pull all the nitrogen to the storage tank, then the block could be swapped out?

my rear drivers side will squat when parked from time to time, long run times on the compressor also. it's getting worse with the cold, thinking it's the block.

Thank you

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a leak somewhere, but I'd think the manifold would be one of the least likely suspects. Unless you have a means to purge the system and refill with dry nitrogen, I'd leave it alone.

J33P

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a leak somewhere, but I'd think the manifold would be one of the least likely suspects. Unless you have a means to purge the system and refill with dry nitrogen, I'd leave it alone.
Just seems odd that corner only will "sometimes" go down, doesn't have to be overnight, seems like if I park on uneven ground with that backcorner lower, or load the truck up, it will sometimes do it as well. everything goes back to normal after I start it, tried pulling the fuse to reset it, transport mode as well. seems ok for a few days. Colder weather seems to have triggered it so I thought maybe one of the valves is sticking in the manifold. I am in no real rush, as it corrects after it starts, I just through I would post to see what might be involved if I could do it as a DIY'er. I saw somewhere that if you put it in transports mode all the nitrogen is pulled into the holding tank, not sure if that is confirmed where if that was done, you can then change components without having to recharge. I'll see if the dealer can give me any insight as well next time I am there. Usually I get "bring it in so we can diagnose" hehe

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just seems odd that corner only will "sometimes" go down, doesn't have to be overnight, seems like if I park on uneven ground with that backcorner lower, or load the truck up, it will sometimes do it as well. everything goes back to normal after I start it, tried pulling the fuse to reset it, transport mode as well. seems ok for a few days. Colder weather seems to have triggered it so I thought maybe one of the valves is sticking in the manifold. I am in no real rush, as it corrects after it starts, I just through I would post to see what might be involved if I could do it as a DIY'er. I saw somewhere that if you put it in transports mode all the nitrogen is pulled into the holding tank, not sure if that is confirmed where if that was done, you can then change components without having to recharge. I'll see if the dealer can give me any insight as well next time I am there. Usually I get "bring it in so we can diagnose" hehe
Did you decide to give it a go?

KPeak

Reaction score
I just replaced the airbag on my rear driver side, it was leaking bad at the metal band on the top portion. Did the same stuff you’re talking about, squatted really bad, would never fully air up, and eventually it just rode on the bump stop so I had to stop driving it for about a week. Swapping the bag is SUPER easy, just need Alfa OBD, deflate the bag to reservoir, unscrew air fitting at top of bag, and push the clips to remove it.

I would NOT buy any cheap Amazon replacement bags though, way to many reviews about them blowing up during driving or inflating. I picked up a used bag from eBay and it solved the issue for now.

This pic shows air bubbles around the clamp when I was testing with soapy water.

Attachments

• IMG_5022.jpeg
    IMG_5022.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 26

J33P

Reaction score
Did you decide to give it a go?
No, going to give in and take it to the dealer in case there is a software update that might help. I can't see it being a leak, be sitting outside for two days, still has no gone done, went to the rink, parked, but not on level ground, and again the driver left rear was squatted down, I also notice times when I get out the pump is running for about 45 seconds after parking before it will stop. It still throwing air suspension codes U0123 C1562 C15D9

3 times I have experience the dead battery as well form the air suspension killing the battery (over 4 years)

Really acts up if I use Aero mode on the highway, if I keep it in Normal it complains less. unless the height sensor is wonky but I would think a code related to that would pop up instead. I drove about 600kms highway 2 weeks ago and with Aero enable, I got warns and overheating messages, then at one point the driver rear squatted while driving. Once I pulled into a truck stop, pulled fuse, cleared codes, etc etc. still wouldn't pump up. chose "Wheel Alignment mode" then it raised back to Normal. I then put it in Transport mode, power cycle, then back to Normal and was able to drive again level, then only once while parked it squatted in the two weeks, drove home in "Normal" all was fine.

So seems like the module is screwed, or maybe the wire harness is corroded

J33P

Reaction score
So I keep saying to myself it's probably the ASCM, but I think what I am meaning to says is the solenoid is defective. I thought it was all the same unit.

J33P

Reaction score
Thanks for that, with all the dirt and rust proofing over the years this will be fun. lol

J33P

Reaction score
As a band-aid I put it into Offroad when parking ,seems to stay at height , no time to get to dealer, ugh

J33P

Reaction score
Well, finally got to the dealer, said the air volume in the system was about half and confirmed left rear had a leak. damn. 1100$ parts and labour.
I definitely overanalyzed the problem clearly :)

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, finally got to the dealer, said the air volume in the system was about half and confirmed left rear had a leak. damn. 1100$ parts and labour.
I definitely overanalyzed the problem clearly :)
Glad you got it taken care of.

Users who are viewing this thread