5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension issue 2019 1500

Colt1945

Reaction score
Around 45 days ago I had my air compressor system replaced at the dealership due to an error. Today I put my truck up on a lift to clean the under carriage and wanted to see if I can pinpoint a clunking noise I hear over bumps at low speeds ever since I picked it up, I noticed the air strut cover is messed up. I showed it to the dealer who claims they wouldn’t have touched that specific part and it must have failed on its own, or they didn’t notice it at the time, is it possible it’s just a coincidence? I’ve put just under 450 miles on the truck since the work was done. Pictures attached of the bad part and a good one for comparison, the work was done under my extended warranty, and this is covered as well, just annoying having to pay another deductible.

My truck is in the shop at least 2-3 times a year replacing parts, this mopar warranty has been a life saver but this 2019 is really making me 2nd guess keeping it past the warranty date.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 35

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean even if they didn't damage it, it's clearly part of the problem if the air compressor was replaced isn't it?
Comes down to your warranty\service contract and the documented reason it was brought it.

Colt1945

Reaction score
I mean even if they didn't damage it, it's clearly part of the problem if the air compressor was replaced isn't it?
Comes down to your warranty\service contract and the documented reason it was brought it.
I don’t have any current issues with my air suspension though, that was resolved (I assume, I haven’t seen an error or noticed anything acting up again). I have the maxcare mopar warranty, the dealership has already ordered the part, when I brought up the deductible he said it’s a separate issue. I just drove in there today and showed them the pictures I took, I was tired of dropping my truck off for a month to fix an issue lol.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Around 45 days ago I had my air compressor system replaced at the dealership due to an error. Today I put my truck up on a lift to clean the under carriage and wanted to see if I can pinpoint a clunking noise I hear over bumps at low speeds ever since I picked it up, I noticed the air strut cover is messed up. I showed it to the dealer who claims they wouldn’t have touched that specific part and it must have failed on its own, or they didn’t notice it at the time, is it possible it’s just a coincidence? I’ve put just under 450 miles on the truck since the work was done. Pictures attached of the bad part and a good one for comparison, the work was done under my extended warranty, and this is covered as well, just annoying having to pay another deductible.

My truck is in the shop at least 2-3 times a year replacing parts, this mopar warranty has been a life saver but this 2019 is really making me 2nd guess keeping it past the warranty date.
Looks like something caught it/slammed in to it and ripped it apart?
Any signs of tool marks around the damaged area?

Last edited:

Colt1945

Reaction score
Looks like something caught it/slammed in to it and ripped it apart?
Any signs of tool marks around the damaged area?
Nothing that stood out to me, it just looks like it is loose around where the metal clip should have it gripped. This is the driver side front and it faces toward the rear so I can’t imagine anything could have kicked up and hit it from that angle.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing that stood out to me, it just looks like it is loose around where the metal clip should have it gripped. This is the driver side front and it faces toward the rear so I can’t imagine anything could have kicked up and hit it from that angle.
First time I have seen anything like that here on the forums.

E.Hands

Reaction score
It's just a dust cover. The actual air-bag in inside of that. You will be able to feel it.
Have you tried manipulating it by hand? It may snap back into place.

Reaction score
I have a 2 post bendpak 10K lift in my home shop. Got some questions!!!
To OP or anyone else who has put an air suspension RAM 1500 up on a 2 post lift .... What if anything needs to be done before putting an air suspended ram up on a 2 post lift? Tire Jack mode? Anything else? Also, anyone got a picture of one up on a lift that shows lift points. Anything else that I need to know? My truck is a 2023 crew cab Limited Longhorn with air suspension and 33 gallon gas tank along with a number of other options.

Reaction score
Should have mentioned that I have the automatic running boards so guessing I need to disconnect battery or do something to prevent deployment of the steps when up on the lift.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2 post bendpak 10K lift in my home shop. Got some questions!!!
To OP or anyone else who has put an air suspension RAM 1500 up on a 2 post lift .... What if anything needs to be done before putting an air suspended ram up on a 2 post lift? Tire Jack mode? Anything else? Also, anyone got a picture of one up on a lift that shows lift points. Anything else that I need to know? My truck is a 2023 crew cab Limited Longhorn with air suspension and 33 gallon gas tank along with a number of other options.
Put it in tire change mode, and also change the running boards from automatic to "stow" will keep them in. Both settings on your head unit.
Warning if you drive a little tire change mode will turn off, so double check it when you actually park it where the lift is that it's still engaged.

Colt1945

Reaction score
Should have mentioned that I have the automatic running boards so guessing I need to disconnect battery or do something to prevent deployment of the steps when up on the lift.
My running boards detect the lift and just collapse back up when they sense the lift without hitting it, though you could stow it as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpeg
    IMG_2451.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2452.jpeg
    IMG_2452.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 12

E.Hands

Reaction score
My running boards detect the lift and just collapse back up when they sense the lift without hitting it, though you could stow it as well.
Try this: From the outside, put your foot & shin down in the path of the running board before opening the door. Be brave and allow it to deploy and strike your leg.
It will safely retract just like a garage door.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the answers! Will give it a shot for sure when 1st oil change is needed which will probably be several weeks. I run my other vehicles to about 80% used on the oil and change them! Also will try the leg & running board. If leg stops it for sure the hitting the lift will! Thanks for that also!

Users who are viewing this thread