5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Rear Bumper options

drsubie

Reaction score
I just used some zip ties to secure them to the 'prongs' on the aftermarket bumper... kinda' hard to explain, but needless to say, they are holding up fine and work fine!

Techna

Reaction score
Bringing this one back to life... I appreciate the pictures drsubbie. I did some damage to my tailgate and scratched the paint on my bumper at the same time. My repair estimate includes paintwork on the bumper, but after hearing from you (and the guy I bought my Leer cap from) on how flimsy the factory bumper actually is, I think I’ll put the bumper paint money towards a new bumper. I’m not crazy about the sci-fi looks that all of the aftermarket bumpers seem to have, but the one you bought is growing on me. The way the fold down step integrates with the lines is a huge plus too. My only real beef is with the license plate light at this point, but I’m sure I can come up with an acceptable alternative.
**EDIT** Regarding the plate light issue I mentioned in my original comment above. I’ve now seen pictures that indicate there has been a revision to this bumper for 5th gen Ram trucks. Some pictures show the single silver plate light, while others suggest a version which uses the factory recessed plate lights. It also looks like the F150 and Silverado variants use their factory recessed light housings. I’m assuming that the Ram bumpers showing the factory lights swapped over are the newer ones, but I guess there’s a possibility that Barricade went to a single add on light as a cost saving measure? It’s got to be cheaper to punch a round hole and include a light, than to integrate and weld on dual brackets for the factory light housings. A message has been sent to the retailer and I’ll update if I get a reply. I was ready to pull the trigger regardless of my objection to the add on light, but now that I seen the flush factory ones being utilized, the other one is a bit of a deal breaker.

Attachments

• 69BC4BB9-0059-460D-B6E1-CDE584A766E1.jpeg
    69BC4BB9-0059-460D-B6E1-CDE584A766E1.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Ram21

Reaction score
This looks good, may go this route since I slightly dimpled my bumper yesterday. :mad:

Jimmyk

Reaction score
Bringing this one back to life... I appreciate the pictures drsubbie. I did some damage to my tailgate and scratched the paint on my bumper at the same time. My repair estimate includes paintwork on the bumper, but after hearing from you (and the guy I bought my Leer cap from) on how flimsy the factory bumper actually is, I think I’ll put the bumper paint money towards a new bumper. I’m not crazy about the sci-fi looks that all of the aftermarket bumpers seem to have, but the one you bought is growing on me. The way the fold down step integrates with the lines is a huge plus too. My only real beef is with the license plate light at this point, but I’m sure I can come up with an acceptable alternative.
**EDIT** Regarding the plate light issue I mentioned in my original comment above. I’ve now seen pictures that indicate there has been a revision to this bumper for 5th gen Ram trucks. Some pictures show the single silver plate light, while others suggest a version which uses the factory recessed plate lights. It also looks like the F150 and Silverado variants use their factory recessed light housings. I’m assuming that the Ram bumpers showing the factory lights swapped over are the newer ones, but I guess there’s a possibility that Barricade went to a single add on light as a cost saving measure? It’s got to be cheaper to punch a round hole and include a light, than to integrate and weld on dual brackets for the factory light housings. A message has been sent to the retailer and I’ll update if I get a reply. I was ready to pull the trigger regardless of my objection to the add on light, but now that I seen the flush factory ones being utilized, the other one is a bit of a deal breaker.
I managed to back into a pole today and now it looks like I have an excuse for a new bumper. Hopefully I can do this myself. Just worried about doing the parking sensors. Thanks for the pictures it looks great. I have the maximum steel limited so I think the black should look good.

Mav

Reaction score
I managed to back into a pole today and now it looks like I have an excuse for a new bumper. Hopefully I can do this myself. Just worried about doing the parking sensors. Thanks for the pictures it looks great. I have the maximum steel limited so I think the black should look good.
Hey, this is what brought me here, too. I just tapped a pole and it made a good dent on the corner of the bumper, might be time to invest in this product. Appreciate those that have posted their experience thus far.

drsubie

Reaction score
Quick update on my rear bumper:

No problems, no rust (truck is parked outside all the time), holding up great.

Small gripes--as previous poster had mentioned, the rear license plate light it comes with is a chrome generic light--I could have sanded and painted it, or Plastidipped it, but I got lazy. Not a huge deal since my Limited comes w/ some chrome parts OEM anyhow.

Also, I wished that the foot notches on the sides were a bit taller to really allow one to easily step into it.

Overall, much more worth it than the incredibly flimsy OEM bumper...

Unfortunately, my drunken neighbor side swiped my front bumper, so I'm debating about going aftermarket with that or just have insurance fix/replace the front...

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick update on my rear bumper:

No problems, no rust (truck is parked outside all the time), holding up great.

Small gripes--as previous poster had mentioned, the rear license plate light it comes with is a chrome generic light--I could have sanded and painted it, or Plastidipped it, but I got lazy. Not a huge deal since my Limited comes w/ some chrome parts OEM anyhow.

Also, I wished that the foot notches on the sides were a bit taller to really allow one to easily step into it.

Overall, much more worth it than the incredibly flimsy OEM bumper...

Unfortunately, my drunken neighbor side swiped my front bumper, so I'm debating about going aftermarket with that or just have insurance fix/replace the front...
aftermarket for sure 😂😜 i have a rebel and im thinking change the rear bumper since i did the front

drsubie

Reaction score
aftermarket for sure 😂😜 i have a rebel and im thinking change the rear bumper since i did the front
How you like your Fab Fours front? I think it looks the best out of all the aftermarket ones--subtle but still tough...pics? Any install issues?

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
havent taken bumper off to add on the light bar pods and winch beeen alittle swammped with work but this is the install

Attachments

• B6846B37-842B-4748-8490-DA7429A9628C.jpeg
    B6846B37-842B-4748-8490-DA7429A9628C.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 107

cervelo15

Reaction score
You must have missed my 1st post--my wife backed it up into an oddly angled short brick wall :( ... at least she paid for the bumper!
Im glad I found this thread, as I suffered someone backing into my truck last night. I like the look of this bumper. Did you find any issues with the frame when installing? I'm just nervous the impact of someone backing into me bent the frame. But it sounds like the flimsy nature of the bumper piece, it's designed to give a little before bending frame parts.

dustinwebb

Reaction score
I drive a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited Crew--which wife had backed up into a concrete stem wall that dented the rear bumper and dinged the tailgate :mad:; anyhow, I am thinking about replacing the rear bumper myself rather than having a body shop fix it (was quoted $3200 for them to order new rear bumper, rear tailgate, color match, then reuse the plastic bits).

Looked into options and there are a few, but was wondering if anyone else has gone aftermarket on bumpers (particularly the rear), and how they liked it... I'm not wanting to replace the front bumper (not unless that gets dented too)...

So far, I'm thinking of:

Iron Cross Hardline

Fab Fours Premium

Fab Fours Vengeance

Road Armor Stealth

Opinions or other options? I need to make sure it's got the cutouts for the rear sensors, and I kind of like the edge steps to make the bed more easily accessible... I don't need to mount rear back up lights or have winch rings...
I realize this is an old post, I had almost verbatim happen to my truck last weekend - involving a Napa auto parts pole; made me sick, only saw bumper first then tailgate at another stop, I’m looking at options now and it’s the tailgate that’s the pricey one.

Attachments

• 03FEEED1-3B05-467B-9D46-6F9B98C98234.jpeg
    03FEEED1-3B05-467B-9D46-6F9B98C98234.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 51
  • ADC3E6FE-7E46-4D0B-BA31-52302755FD79.jpeg
    ADC3E6FE-7E46-4D0B-BA31-52302755FD79.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 48

sd2134

Reaction score
I realize this is an old post, I had almost verbatim happen to my truck last weekend - involving a Napa auto parts pole; made me sick, only saw bumper first then tailgate at another stop, I’m looking at options now and it’s the tailgate that’s the pricey one.
WOW, look how far you pushed that "C".

Users who are viewing this thread