5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFE vs S&B CAI

SColang22

Reaction score
I currently have the AFE intake but saw S&B came out with theirs. Has anyone seen any testing numbers or had experience with S&B?

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting for the s&b to show as in stock. Definitely like the AFe, but the sealed box of the s&b caught my attention, especially with the slightly lower price. But I’m also curious if there’s really anything in the difference between the two to justify one over the other.

SColang22

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting for the s&b to show as in stock. Definitely like the AFe, but the sealed box of the s&b caught my attention, especially with the slightly lower price. But I’m also curious if there’s really anything in the difference between the two to justify one over the other.
That’s what I’m wondering. I hear the S&B compared more with the vararam. I haven’t seen much comparison with AFE though. AFE advertises better gains but who really knows

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like the Afe stg 2 and vanaram......
S&b is fully sealed if plug is installed. Filter is very big. Took factory set up and made it better. It’s also 8 layers of synthetic material on filter. Efficient yet still very clean air going in. It will not void any kind of warranty. They will put their lawyers to the dealer or pay the bill.
As you can tell I’ve been studying up on it. Lol

SColang22

Reaction score
I really like the Afe stg 2 and vanaram......
S&b is fully sealed if plug is installed. Filter is very big. Took factory set up and made it better. It’s also 8 layers of synthetic material on filter. Efficient yet still very clean air going in. It will not void any kind of warranty. They will put their lawyers to the dealer or pay the bill.
As you can tell I’ve been studying up on it. Lol
I’m not worried about warranty cause I’m already going to void that. Seems like they all make about the same power. I don’t like how AFE is an open filter that seals to the hood. It never really seals that well. I might be switching to s&b

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ I agree. The stage 2 is a great idea, huge inlet tube and filter.... that should of been finished off with a sealed top to air box at say 200ish. They wouldn’t be able to keep them in stock. I would have one. They just got to market first and didn’t realize s&b was coming out to play. More material, more thought out idea at a lesser price.

Kadarnall

Reaction score
S&B

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1553829211536.jpg
    FB_IMG_1553829211536.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 241

Kadarnall

Reaction score
No. I wouldnt put too much thought into getting anything noticeable in power in any CAI you get unless you start doing custom tunes. IMHO, you are just helping the engine breathe better and its mostly for looks. With that said, I put my lift, 35s, and other parts on at the same time, so it would be a hard comparison to stock as well. At less than 300 bucks, this does what I wanted it to.

Kadarnall

Reaction score
I had a Volant CAI on my ford...I think I like this design better.

SColang22

Reaction score
No. I wouldnt put too much thought into getting anything noticeable in power in any CAI you get unless you start doing custom tunes. IMHO, you are just helping the engine breathe better and its mostly for looks. With that said, I put my lift, 35s, and other parts on at the same time, so it would be a hard comparison to stock as well. At less than 300 bucks, this does what I wanted it to.
Yea ive always done S&B and this is my first time with the AFE. I did notice some power gains. I added it after my lift and tires and exhaust and I did get some performance back from the loss with tires. I'm just debating if S&B is going to be different then AFE.

Kadarnall

Reaction score
Yea ive always done S&B and this is my first time with the AFE. I did notice some power gains. I added it after my lift and tires and exhaust and I did get some performance back from the loss with tires. I'm just debating if S&B is going to be different then AFE.
I wouldnt think it qould be super noticeable. Is ghe AFE sealed? Worst case you try the S&B and sell whichever one you dont want for a 50 dollar loss.

SColang22

Reaction score
I wouldnt think it qould be super noticeable. Is ghe AFE sealed? Worst case you try the S&B and sell whichever one you dont want for a 50 dollar loss.
AFE is open but seals pretty well to the hood. I think with the open plug on the S&B its about even.

lockdpain

Reaction score
I've had both the AFE & currently have the S&b & from real world use I'd say that the S&B has provided a little more performance over the AFE, & looks awesome under the hood

Users who are viewing this thread