5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFE CAI

Nomechanic

Reaction score
Spent a lot of $ on a afe momentum cai. When I installed it my MPG went way down and the truck was LETHARGIC. Like I was hauling a load of dirt or something. Can someone maybe help me with an answer? Thanks

Attachments

• 4C9DA71A-09BF-49D7-9F21-407575851A72.jpeg
    4C9DA71A-09BF-49D7-9F21-407575851A72.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 56

Nomechanic

Reaction score
Tried already still waiting on a response. I put the stock one back in. Back to normal

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dumb question, but did you make sure that any packaging material was removed from the filter and/or intake tube? Nothing is restricting airflow?

Edit: And how many miles do you have on this truck? Is this brand new?

Nomechanic

Reaction score
It is brand new 315ish miles. I did check everything there are no obstructions. Could it be I need to reset the computer?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to guess that your truck is still trying to figure out how life works. Just as it was getting started with that, it was thrown a curveball and now has to adjust to a different airflow rate at the intake.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the afe stage 2 CAI and after installation I immediately noticed a drop in power especially when accelerating from a dead stop. I see you have the e-torque whereas I only have the 5.7 hemi. Bottom line my truck had more "get-up" with the stock intake system and air filter. I decided to keep the AFe CAI on because paired with the magnaflow exhaust it really brought the hemi to life with the sound. I did not experience a massive drop in power to deem i "lethargic" but it was noticeably slower off the line.

Nomechanic

Reaction score
I purchased the afe stage 2 CAI and after installation I immediately noticed a drop in power especially when accelerating from a dead stop. I see you have the e-torque whereas I only have the 5.7 hemi. Bottom line my truck had more "get-up" with the stock intake system and air filter. I decided to keep the AFe CAI on because paired with the magnaflow exhaust it really brought the hemi to life with the sound. I did not experience a massive drop in power to deem i "lethargic" but it was noticeably slower off the line.
Lethargic is maybe the wrong world but it felt like I had a heavy load of dirt or rocks in the back.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lethargic is maybe the wrong world but it felt like I had a heavy load of dirt or rocks in the back.
Yea that's like it. I know you and I have different engines but it does make sense. Have you tried a hard-reset cycle By the disconnecting the battery for 20 min? which will erase all stored data from the stock mass air flow sensor and allow the truck to learn the new AFE's intake parameters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online