5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

advice on new purchase.

2slow95vert

Reaction score
Hey so I'm probably gonna order a Laramie in the near future. Definitely want to put 35's on it. One local dealer has 35x12.5 on stock air suspension and another local dealer recommends getting a lift instead of the air suspension. If I got a lift it would be the Mopar 2". Yes, I know it's expensive for what it is. But I will probably end up getting the lifetime warranty on the truck and don't want a lift kit messing with the warranty. Which would be the better option for a truck that will almost never leave the pavement? I like that the air suspension can lower to make it easier for in laws and parents to get in and out. but it sure seems slow.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the stock truck on 35s with air ride have the off-road package? That adds 1” of lift. Not many options available lift wise for air ride that would keep the factory ride.

If you want more lift then you could wait for BDS to come out with their 4” kit for air ride. But max lift is 2” for Mopar warranty.

But most would say to get regular suspension if you want 35s.

I have Mopar off-road running boards which make it easy to get in and out without having to worry about people slipping on a step. I rarely use entry/exit height on my air ride. Takes too long lol.

2slow95vert

Reaction score
I didn't think the off road package added any lift if you had the air suspension. Not sure if the the one I saw had the off road or not. If I got the air suspension I wouldn't put a lift on it and if I get the reg suspension I would only get the Mopar lift so I don't have to worry about any warranty problems.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't think the off road package added any lift if you had the air suspension. Not sure if the the one I saw had the off road or not. If I got the air suspension I wouldn't put a lift on it and if I get the reg suspension I would only get the Mopar lift so I don't have to worry about any warranty problems.

Yes the air ride on the off road package is a different system with larger components and compressor for the extra 1” lift.

This is why the air ride settings on off road package only has entry/exit, aero, normal and off-road. So the off road setting is 2” higher than stock height on non-air ride.

Air ride without off-road package has e/e, aero, normal, OR1 and OR2. OR2 is 2” higher than stock height on non air ride. OR2 is same height as OR on air ride with off road package.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is one of the videos that claims 35s fit, but they actually moved the front bumper out 1/2" lol.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your plan is a lift (MOPAR 2" or otherwise) and 35 in tires; then my recommendation would be a standard suspension rather than air suspension. In addition; you should consider 3.92 gears since the larger tires will affect your final drive ration and ultimately your acceleration (and to an extent torque). Don't forget to order limited slip or locker rear as well. I have standard suspension, 3.92, and limited slip. I got those options with the intent of lifting and putting larger tires on it eventually. I'll probably do the MOPAR 2" as well for the same reasons as you.

2slow95vert

Reaction score
Def gonna get 3.92's and limited slip. Just undecided on the air ride OR the reg suspension with MOPAR lift. So the max height with the air ride is the same with or without the O/R package.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Def gonna get 3.92's and limited slip. Just undecided on the air ride OR the reg suspension with MOPAR lift. So the max height with the air ride is the same with or without the O/R package.

Yes max height is 2" over stock with or without OR packsge. When you hit 25 mph it automatically drops to OR1 and at 45 mph it goes to normal height. So these settings on air ride are not designed to be a permanent lift. Plus ride is much stiffer. You can trick the system with adjustable sensor links which some people have done. I'm not a believer since the sensor is fragile and I don't want a stiffer ride.

If you want air ride I would recommend getting the off road package. At this point there are no real lift kits for air ride that keep the factory ride.

Since you want to also keep the warranty, I would suggest the regular coil suspension and Mopar lift. It's not an easy decision. I love the air ride but frustrated that there are no reliable lift kits. I have ideas on how to make one but don't want to be the guinea pig.

Users who are viewing this thread