5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on my project

ahawksfan

Reaction score
Good day!

Thanks in advance for helping me make some choices on my project. I have a 2021 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gearing. I already have the trailer brake controller. I am going to be towing a 21' trailer off-road and want some better off-road capabilities. Things I am looking for are:
  • Rear air locking differential
  • Front air locking differential
  • Air compressor
  • ~2" lift kit ideally with air suspension
  • Some way to activate differentials and air suspension (e.g. SPOD) although I would prefer something integrated into the RAM if possible
  • Front bumper supporting a winch
  • Large winch (e.g. Warn Zeon 12-S) - Yes, will likely have to use a snatch block.
  • Probably new tires/rims at some point in the future
I would greatly appreciate any advice on product selection or things I might have missed that you might recommend.

Note one option I considered was just getting a 2500 Power Wagon but there are things the Power Wagon does not have/get that I want. For example, the 2023/24 Power Wagon does not offer air suspension, nor Heads Up Display (I believe they call it Technology Group in the 1500 series), nor the double pane sun roof.

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good day!

Thanks in advance for helping me make some choices on my project. I have a 2021 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gearing. I already have the trailer brake controller. I am going to be towing a 21' trailer off-road and want some better off-road capabilities. Things I am looking for are:
  • Air compressor
  • Some way to activate differentials and air suspension (e.g. SPOD) although I would prefer something integrated into the RAM if possible
  • Large winch (e.g. Warn Zeon 12-S) - Yes, will likely have to use a snatch block.
I would greatly appreciate any advice on product selection or things I might have missed that you might recommend.
Trade for a power wagon. Done

ahawksfan

Reaction score
Appreciate the reply but there are things the Power Wagon does not have/get that I want. For example, the 2023/24 Power Wagon does not offer air suspension, nor Heads Up Display (I believe they call it Technology Group in the 1500 series), nor the double pane sun roof. I will modify my original post to state that.

Thanks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Front bumper with winch mount.
www.wickedbumpers.com
he doesn't have the 5th gen bumper on his website yet, but contact him and he will get you pricing and options. PXL_20230212_183134276.jpg

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply but there are things the Power Wagon does not have/get that I want. For example, the 2023/24 Power Wagon does not offer air suspension, nor Heads Up Display (I believe they call it Technology Group in the 1500 series), nor the double pane sun roof. I will modify my original post to state that.

Thanks.
Only thing that forced me into a 1500 was the HUD.
Else I would of gotten a 6.4 2500 Limited. Oh yeah another engine choice that Ram removed.

I didn't care about the trim or style, but they don't give the same options, but that's how Ram rolls, they like to make things last forever and never upgrade or equal anything out.

ahawksfan

Reaction score
Yeah, I hate that. So that is why I am looking to upgrade my 1500. Hoping someone will have some good advice on parts. I am also located in the Chicago area (but travel all over). I might need to take a trip out west to have a shop do the work.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good day!

• Air compressor

Note one option I considered was just getting a 2500 Power Wagon but there are things the Power Wagon does not have/get that I want. For example, the 2023/24 Power Wagon does not offer air suspension, nor Heads Up Display (I believe they call it Technology Group in the 1500 series), nor the double pane sun roof.
It seems like you're planning to do some serious wheeling with a trailer. Here are my recommendations as an outfitter and tech:

• For your air lockers you can contact ECGS see if they have anything for you: East Coast Gear Supply
  • ARB Air Compressor to run your lockers and airing back up
  • Moorflate 4 wheel airing up and down system to make your life a lot more easier
  • King or Fox 2.5 w/ Adjustors. Alternatively you can also just get the full Carli Performance Package that contains everything you'll need. Note: QUALITY OFFROAD PERFORMANCE lifts are NOT compatible with air suspension on the Ram 1500 DT platform. If you want air suspension that still works with quality offroad performance lift kits then you need to look at 2500s.
  • You are NOT supposed to run lockers to your switch system per ARB. They have a switch for that and should you run it to your switch system and something goes wrong, ARB will not cover it. For switch system to control lights, my personal recommendation is Switch-Pro. sPod sounds good (owned by the same company that owns Baja Designs). I'll stay the hell away from Chinese brand panels like Auxbeam, even though you will run into people recommend them because they are cheap. Let me just tell you I have replaced many cheap Chinese panels over the years for customers, but no Switch-Pro needs replacement. I also abused the **** out of my Switch-Pro and it's still going strong.
  • Front Bumper: Expedition 1 or Vice Design. Take your pick. Both should be able to support winch, just unsure of the large winch fitment.
  • Winch: Cannot go wrong with Warn. Zeon 12-S is a solid choice for winch but mounting may be an issue.
  • Tires and wheels: Method Bead Grip if you're going to do some serious wheeling. 18in, -12mm. Tires is just personal preference but can't go wrong with 35x12.5R18. You can go 37 but that's a lot of trimming.
To be fair, I'm not sure where you are going with your build because a lot of things you want conflict with each other.
You want to tow, but you also want all the creature comforts and offroad capabilities. Those are conflicting items. Air suspension is no good for legit offroad but is great help for towing. Sure, there are kits that are developed to overcome that, but those are developed for HD trucks. PW is a great choice that finds a compromise for all that and doesn't need air suspension to help you tow, but you throw in creature comforts and threw that option out.

Then you also choose creature comforts like HUD and sun roof, but want F&R locker. With IFS you will not need front locker. You will more likely to get beached because you run out of suspension travel before your front locker can put anything usable down. To get the most out of front locker, you will need solid axle front. Then there's the trailer part... unsure what your experience level is at, but trailers + IFS on technical trails are just headache and if it's a popular trail... you'd be a road block for everyone else. Of course, if you're experienced and had done it before then disregard the last bit about trailers. But the fact that you're here asking tells me you're not really experienced, because an experienced wheeler with truck knowledge would know what to choose.

I'm not berating you or anything, I'm just telling you straight and honest from a builder's perspective and if I offend you in any way, I do apologize. Building offroad truck is all about understanding your needs and wants, and find compromises among that list of things that conflict with each other. It's ok to want creature comforts and techs (we all do) but just know that those techs will eventually be items to fix later down the line, especially if you take it offroad or wheel it hard (like it seems like you will). It does seem like you want a do-it-all type of truck build, which to my knowledge there's no off-the-shelf products that can fit your needs and wants. You may need to go custom (custom front and rear axles, custom suspension, custom bumper with winch mount, etc) and that racks up the bill fast.

For the amount of money that you're putting in, you'd be a lot better off with a PW that's built more capable than a Rebel (which comes with 3.92, rear locker, 1" lift, and AT tires) or TRX.

Hope that helps.

ahawksfan

Reaction score
Boogielander - Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed response. I am not offended in the least you make some very good points. I am very experienced in the wheeling category coming from a Jeep background. This vehicle will not be wheeling off-road like purpose-built off-road vehicle. My intention is to have off-road capability in the event it rains heavily and I still need to get the trailer back to payment.

1. I will look at ECGS for a rear locker and skip the front because of truck length.
  2. I was planning on ARB for a compressor and to air up the air suspension for towing.
  3. I would like to use air suspension because towing will be 90% and off-road will be 10%
  4. Above probably means I will have to skip the lift
  5. I will take a look at the front bumper choices you suggested
Again thank you very much for taking the time.

In my area there are not a lot of good 4x4 shops so if you or anyone knows one out west please refer them to me. Since I no longer have a garage and tools I need someone to do this work.

Thanks again!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Boogielander - Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed response. I am not offended in the least you make some very good points. I am very experienced in the wheeling category coming from a Jeep background. This vehicle will not be wheeling off-road like purpose-built off-road vehicle. My intention is to have off-road capability in the event it rains heavily and I still need to get the trailer back to payment.

1. I will look at ECGS for a rear locker and skip the front because of truck length.
  2. I was planning on ARB for a compressor and to air up the air suspension for towing.
  3. I would like to use air suspension because towing will be 90% and off-road will be 10%
  4. Above probably means I will have to skip the lift
  5. I will take a look at the front bumper choices you suggested
Again thank you very much for taking the time.

In my area there are not a lot of good 4x4 shops so if you or anyone knows one out west please refer them to me. Since I no longer have a garage and tools I need someone to do this work.

Thanks again!
all good!
Glad you know what you're looking for and know the tradeoffs. Too often my first time customers are clueless so we gotta break things down for them and explain to them why it can't be done.

I'm in SoCal. probably won't make financial sense to ship your rig all the way out here to get worked on and our appointment book is all the way to September already (appointment book for big projects are usually 1+ months away. Summer time will see 2+months of appointment because it's summer... frigging hot and we like to go explore so that also means shorter work weeks sometimes - which we taken into consideration when we book appointments) LMK if you want me to PM you our shop info.

However, we don't really do axle works. Only axle work we deal with in house is Jeep ones. I personally had gone to Premier West Gears to regear my 4Runner and had good experience with them. Perhaps they can take a look at yours. Riverside Auto Repair - Premier West Gears

But regardless I'm pretty sure there are reputable shops in CO, ND, SD, WY, UT region that makes more financial sense for you lol

ahawksfan

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, with you booked out so far it might be an issue. Then again I will not be using the truck between December and April. If you had someone safe to keep it after the work was done we could make that work. PM your info and we can talk.

Users who are viewing this thread