5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding LSD to an Open Diff

WreckerRC

Reaction score
Hey all. My girls got 300 miles on her, but has an open diff. Im not a fan. I want at least a lsd in the rear. How much would it run and what kind of work am I looking at? Shes a DT truck. Given, I am comparing her to my old Silverado, which has a Z71 and auto lock feature.

Thanks.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually asked that question before I bought my Rebel. I was told I'd have to buy a completely new axle, which I thought was a bit dubious. This was last summer, so maybe things have changed or something has come out in the aftermarket.

ktl5005

Reaction score
I actually asked that question before I bought my Rebel. I was told I'd have to buy a completely new axle, which I thought was a bit dubious. This was last summer, so maybe things have changed or something has come out in the aftermarket.
That is because thew Rebel comes with E-locker. You can't have both....

ktl5005

Reaction score
Hey all. My girls got 300 miles on her, but has an open diff. Im not a fan. I want at least a lsd in the rear. How much would it run and what kind of work am I looking at? Shes a DT truck. Given, I am comparing her to my old Silverado, which has a Z71 and auto lock feature.

Thanks.
Why do you want an LSD? What is wrong with it? Plently of people have the open diff with 4x4 and do just fine, including in slick conditions. The standard traction control system does a wonderful job and most people don't even recognize when the computer is using the TCS vs the LSD.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is because thew Rebel comes with E-locker. You can't have both....
Sorry... I should have mentioned I was looking at a Laramie that had an open diff. I bought the Rebel when I couldn't find a Laramie to my liking. Couldn't be happier either.

WreckerRC

Reaction score
Why do you want an LSD? What is wrong with it? Plently of people have the open diff with 4x4 and do just fine, including in slick conditions. The standard traction control system does a wonderful job and most people don't even recognize when the computer is using the TCS vs the LSD.

I do some mild off roading. I am not plenty of people. I was in a situation today, had I had an LSD 4x4 would not have been needed. I firmly believe in not using 4x4 unless I have to. That said I have had high speed training and off road training.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You'll want to read this, it's for a DS but there shouldn't be much if any difference

Rollint

Reaction score
I do some mild off roading. I am not plenty of people. I was in a situation today, had I had an LSD 4x4 would not have been needed. I firmly believe in not using 4x4 unless I have to. That said I have had high speed training and off road training.
Different perspective, but not using 4x4 unless you have to has led to many stuck vehicles. Use 4x4 before you "have to" and you can sometimes save yourself a good bit of trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread