5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding a Wireless Charging Pad?

Oak Grove

Reaction score
Just got my special-ordered Pearl off-white '21 1500 Laramie Southwest Edition home. Coming from a '12 Yukon XL and trying to outfit this for the best Mom-mobile out there! I have tons of options in the truck including Ramboxes, bed utility group, and MFT.
My packages did not include the wireless charging pad. My son and I drove the truck 650 miles home and played with both the Apple Car Play and the Bluetooth...and discovered the Alpine Stereo system sounds much better when connected via Car Play...and the apps seem better as well. If I add the Mopar wireless charging pad for $250, will the connection be closet to the USB connected CarPlay or still the Bluetooth? I was also considering getting a wireless charging mat to lay down in the front section of my console for $50. I would like to be able to charge my phone, airpods, and watch when needed...but am use to cords now.

Daverous

Reaction score
Still Bluetooth audio when on the wireless charging pad. All you gain is the ability to avoid plugging it in. You'll still have to connect the cord or add a dongle for wireless carplay.

When the uconnect 5 head unit hits dealers it should add the factory wireless carplay option.

Oak Grove

Reaction score
Daverous-Thanks...that is what I was thinking. I do really prefer the Carplay to the Bluetooth. I held off from June to wait for the '21s to come out with the Uconnect 5. Was super bummed it didn't come out..and had even hoped that it would end up getting added during my build...lol. What dongle would I need to do the wireless CarPlay? And would I need the wireless charger as well to make that happen? I am quite happy with it now just plugging my phone in...but also want to make it as sweet as possible. I love the idea of just keeping my phone in my purse...especially since I have the Apple Watch. Would be pretty sweet not to have to plug my phone in when it needs charged...and the split second to unplug whenever I get out of the car! :)

Daverous

Reaction score
Lots of info linked below. I'd probably start on the later pages since it may take several days to read from the start :)

Users who are viewing this thread