5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add lsd

Jcndsu

Reaction score
I have 3.92 open diff. Was wondering if anyone has ever added lsd or e-locker and what it costs. It was a big mistake by me buying a truck without it. Thanks in advance.
John

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A mistake... or a blessing in disguise?

As good as the OEM LSD is, I think better options exist. Look at the Detroit TrueTrac. Figure $1,000 give or take for part and labor.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Bought mine without it too. I bought the parts from Moe's Performance to modify it and I'm having the dealership do the work. The parts were a little over $500, I'm waiting to feel the pain at the dealership on the install

Chris

Reaction score
I have 3.92 open diff. Was wondering if anyone has ever added lsd or e-locker and what it costs. It was a big mistake by me buying a truck without it. Thanks in advance.
John
Are you already slipping and losing control, or are you just used to the reliability of a LSD? The simulated LSD using the brakes is actually very impressive, and worked fantastic for me in the snow storm we just dealt with in the NorthEast; I highly recommend waiting a few months to see how that works, as I would personally go for a full locking diff and skip the mechanical LSD if I were to start down that path, but only if I ran into situations where the simulated LSD couldn't cut it (such as moderate off roading).

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Chris, how is the simulated LSD treating you on hills? Any worries at this point in the winter?

Zinger

Reaction score
Are you already slipping and losing control, or are you just used to the reliability of a LSD? The simulated LSD using the brakes is actually very impressive, and worked fantastic for me in the snow storm we just dealt with in the NorthEast; I highly recommend waiting a few months to see how that works, as I would personally go for a full locking diff and skip the mechanical LSD if I were to start down that path, but only if I ran into situations where the simulated LSD couldn't cut it (such as moderate off roading).

I too was impressed with the traction control. If the light on the dash wasn't flashing I wouldn't even have known it was working. My prior lsd vehicles always started hopping when it would kick in, so the traction control is a pleasant surprise. I'm now glad I have a locker instead of lsd.

Chris

Reaction score
Chris, how is the simulated LSD treating you on hills? Any worries at this point in the winter?
If I was inside the truck and didn't know what was included, and you told me it had a mechanical LSD, I would 100% believe it. The technology is amazingly impressive.

Note that it will not replace a full locking diff, but at this point I don't think they need to offer the mechanical LSD anymore; perhaps rally track racing could benefit from a lsd over a locking diff and need the mechanical version? I don't know about the scenarios where mechanical LSD would shine over locking diff or simulated LSD, but I would never choose the mechanical lsd option again for any vehicles with this technology level.

Remember, you can't turn the mechanical lsd off, but you can turn off (or at least heavy reduce, not sure on the specifics on deactivating completely) the simulated LSD when you want one wheel to spin, and I find that the logic level makes it much less likely for the truck to slip sideways with low traction then with a mechanical lsd.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
If I was inside the truck and didn't know what was included, and you told me it had a mechanical LSD, I would 100% believe it. The technology is amazingly impressive.

Note that it will not replace a full locking diff, but at this point I don't think they need to offer the mechanical LSD anymore; perhaps rally track racing could benefit from a lsd over a locking diff and need the mechanical version? I don't know about the scenarios where mechanical LSD would shine over locking diff or simulated LSD, but I would never choose the mechanical lsd option again for any vehicles with this technology level.

Remember, you can't turn the mechanical lsd off, but you can turn off (or at least heavy reduce, not sure on the specifics on deactivating completely) the simulated LSD when you want one wheel to spin, and I find that the logic level makes it much less likely for the truck to slip sideways with low traction then with a mechanical lsd.

Appreciate it, while not my first vehicle with an open diff it is good to have that reassurance that technology is doing amazing things. Of course once the Duelers get a bit old I'll probably throw on KO2s.

krakenatwork

Reaction score
I'm a bit lost here... For me "lsd" means "lysergic diethylamide acid", I highly doubt this would help in off-road situations :cool:

So, there's the simulated diff lock that uses the brakes, the optional e-locker which is a switchable locker diff (a physical electromechanical device) and the optional mechanical locker?

krakenatwork

Reaction score
You must be an "acid head" from the sixies. Peace, brother! o_O
Hahaha! Nope, i'm from the early 70's but in my youth I might have seen too many psychedelic-era movies... In reboadcast of course.

I realized after I wrote the post that "lsd" in this context means "limited slip diff"... language barrier as english isn't my native language.

Users who are viewing this thread