5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Cruise Control Upgrade Advice

dwyejj

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well, after talking to a friend with a TRX, I jumped too fast to upgrade my 2021 Rebel to ACC without first doing the right amount of research (read about HCU & ABS after the fact and not sure if my truck has a DASM or not). Now looking for some help with Alpha OBD settings to get back to my original cruise control module because the feature is not worth the extra expense for me.
I got the original cruise module back in and working, but now continue to get the FCW light and screen error "AEB not available needs service". I have been trying different settings for the FCW collision options that were changed in the prior treads to get ACC working, but am not sure what all the original settings were to just have cruise. The truck had FCW with warning plus braking. I can get the dash lights to clear by disabling all FCW, but when I enable the FCW goes to "off", and when I select either "warning" or "warning + braking" on the infotainment screen, the FCW light with AEB service error comes back.
I did save a backup with Alpha OBD, but when attempt to restore I get an error saying some parameters are outside of allowable specs (or something to that nature).
Guessing it is one of the "user setting" or "CSM" settings I have wrong, but I dont have any reference to what specific features some of the options within the car configuration module mean.
I also have done ECU resets, but not much reseting beyond that. Any help or reference threads would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello all,

Well, after talking to a friend with a TRX, I jumped too fast to upgrade my 2021 Rebel to ACC without first doing the right amount of research (read about HCU & ABS after the fact and not sure if my truck has a DASM or not). Now looking for some help with Alpha OBD settings to get back to my original cruise control module because the feature is not worth the extra expense for me.
I got the original cruise module back in and working, but now continue to get the FCW light and screen error "AEB not available needs service". I have been trying different settings for the FCW collision options that were changed in the prior treads to get ACC working, but am not sure what all the original settings were to just have cruise. The truck had FCW with warning plus braking. I can get the dash lights to clear by disabling all FCW, but when I enable the FCW goes to "off", and when I select either "warning" or "warning + braking" on the infotainment screen, the FCW light with AEB service error comes back.
I did save a backup with Alpha OBD, but when attempt to restore I get an error saying some parameters are outside of allowable specs (or something to that nature).
Guessing it is one of the "user setting" or "CSM" settings I have wrong, but I dont have any reference to what specific features some of the options within the car configuration module mean.
I also have done ECU resets, but not much reseting beyond that. Any help or reference threads would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
There is a whole thread on this here:

You should be able to back out the settings by setting to not present or no.

You should always backup your configuration in AlfaOBD before making chages so you can restore it.

If your truck has FCW+, it has a DASM. But you would need to confirm that through the settings or the cutout in the window.

dwyejj

Reaction score
There is a whole thread on this here:

You should be able to back out the settings by setting to not present or no.

You should always backup your configuration in AlfaOBD before making chages so you can restore it.

If your truck has FCW+, it has a DASM. But you would need to confirm that through the settings or the cutout in the window.
Thanks for the reply.
As I mentioned in the post, I did do a backup but am getting an error when I try to recover. It says some parameters are out of range. Not sure what this is unless maybe from a previous change. The only other changes I made in the past were for larger tires and keeping low beams on with brights.

I also thought I had the DASM, but when I changed to enable auto-dim it didnt work, and I was not sure. I'm not quite sure how to tell if DASM is present from looking at the windshield, but am planning to remove the plastic cover below the mirror tomorrow and check for the DASM.
I do have the Alpha ODB logging, so will also look at going back through all of the changes. There is a general communication fault code on Alpha OBD, but not sure where to get a better understanding of the info.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
As I mentioned in the post, I did do a backup but am getting an error when I try to recover. It says some parameters are out of range. Not sure what this is unless maybe from a previous change. The only other changes I made in the past were for larger tires and keeping low beams on with brights.

I also thought I had the DASM, but when I changed to enable auto-dim it didnt work, and I was not sure. I'm not quite sure how to tell if DASM is present from looking at the windshield, but am planning to remove the plastic cover below the mirror tomorrow and check for the DASM.
I do have the Alpha ODB logging, so will also look at going back through all of the changes. There is a general communication fault code on Alpha OBD, but not sure where to get a better understanding of the info.
Post a pic of the outside of the windshield, top, middle. Easy to tell by looking if you know what it looks like.

dwyejj

Reaction score
I assumed the DASM was the camera or sensor opening to the left, but when the auto-dim programming didnt work, was not sure if maybe there are different modules for FCW+ when the trucks are configured without that feature

vincentw56

Reaction score
I assumed the DASM was the camera or sensor opening to the left, but when the auto-dim programming didnt work, was not sure if maybe there are different modules for FCW+ when the trucks are configured without that feature
That is definitely DASM cutout, so you should have it. You must have set something up wrong trying to set up ACC. The only thing that you should have needed was the steering wheel switch and maybe the ABS and HCU. And yes, auto dim should have worked too. Can you send me the backup file and your current configuration? I can see if there is anything I can see.

dwyejj

Reaction score
Post a pic of the outside of the windshield, top, middle. Easy to tell by looking if you know what it looks like.
Looking at my original build on the window sticker, it shows "Full speed forward collision warning system +". Also has Rebel Level 2 equip group, which includes rain sensitive wipers.

dwyejj

Reaction score
That is definitely DASM cutout, so you should have it. You must have set something up wrong trying to set up ACC. The only thing that you should have needed was the steering wheel switch and maybe the ABS and HCU. And yes, auto dim should have worked too. Can you send me the backup file and your current configuration? I can see if there is anything I can see.
Jus wondered if full speed fcw+ is using LiDar and the camera is part of DASM. I do not have the option package that included forward facing camera

vincentw56

Reaction score
Jus wondered if full speed fcw+ is using LiDar and the camera is part of DASM. I do not have the option package that included forward facing camera
Yes, the DASM is the same for all of it. The DASM is an integrated camera and radar all in one unit. The software in it controls all those functions.

dwyejj

Reaction score
Yes, I can and am going to mess with it a bit more today. I had just read some of the great documentation on the PDF's but didnt go deep into the thread. This morning I did that and saw back in 2021 the portion around proper HCU and ABS module numbers. My HCU is that part number with little info, so it looks like I would need to swap the HCU and ABS module. I already put the original switch back in and am now just working to get the FCW+ back. Cruise control is working. I'll also mess with the auto-dim a bit more.
If I still have the dash error for FCW and AEB coming up I'll post the back-up file.
Thanks again for the help

dwyejj

Reaction score
Got it. I had disabled the ACC/DASM module in P/T Chassis net when I went back. Since I do have the DASM, that has to be enabled. Now going to see if I can get auto dim working.

Users who are viewing this thread