5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active grill shutters not working even after replacing motor.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Electronic clamp multimeter
That thing is using a low a pass filter to eliminate any "high frequency" content, ie the data stream.
Would not be my first choice for troubleshooting the LIN bus.
But then again, you use what is on hand.
Looking at the pico screenshot provided by Cbty2050, you could try to average the peak vs. null and come up with WAG number to get a sort of a base line for a multi-meter DC reading.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That thing is using a low a pass filter to eliminate any "high frequency" content, ie the data stream.
Would not be my first choice for troubleshooting the LIN bus.
But then again, you use what is on hand.
Looking at the pico screenshot provided by Cbty2050, you could try to average the peak vs. null and come up with WAG number to get a sort of a base line for a multi-meter DC reading.
I’ll hook it up to an oscilloscope tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I find. Thanks for all the good advice.

Reaction score
Hello, need some help with 2021 RAM 1500 5.7 AGS unit, while ago CEL light came on and when I scanned the car there was two codes, one for active air dam and the other for the active grill shutters. The air dam unit have been disconnected for a year and no CEL light was on so the problem had to be with the grill shutters. Bought a new motor for AGS unit and changed it, deleted the codes and after driving the CEL came back and the code was U11E9 - Lost communication with AGS. So then I checked the wires and they seemed all to be good, I have 12v power and 10v for LIN bus connection. When you plug in the motor, it slowly turns itself about half of the turn and then stops, that`s it. After when you drive it throws the same code.
So I after doing some research and reading forums I came to the conclusion that I need to fix AAD first. It seemed strange to me because It was disconnected for a year and I had no AGS fault codes and CEL was off, but anyway I decided to fix it and fit on a car. AAD code was off and tried to make it move so I raised the car wheels off the ground, put my phone filming and drive the car up to speed, after watching the video it actually moved out and back in, but U11E9 code came back. So I decided to swap the connectors because they both work with LIN bus, but realized that you can´t do that because wire order is different, and AAD wire is too short, but after doing some modifications I managed to do that, took the pins out from AGS and put them in the AAD unit and same thing with the AAD wires but needed to make them longer so I just soldered some extra wire there. After doing same driving test with wheels off the ground I got absolutely the same results, air dam moves and CEL on with the AGS communication missing code. I don´t know what to do anymore, AGS motor is brand new, AAD is working and both wires are good, so can it be the engine ECU or is there some procedure you need to do to calibrate it or something ?
Does anyone had same problem or know how to properly delete them so the CEL will stay off ?
Where did you connect and with what tool did you measure 10V on LIN bus?

Users who are viewing this thread