5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active front air dam removal……….

MattGalmish

Reaction score
Question for any of you guys that have removed the active air dam. Once removed, are there any lights, warnings, check engine light associated with removal?

Recently made a trip down to Lone Pine, CA with the wife and at times I scraped that damn thing while one some trails. No damage, just annoying AF. Will eventually be running a Chassis Unlimited Octane front winch bumper but for now, just removing the whole thing along with the plastic lower air dam attached to the bumper would give just a tad bit more clearance for approach angle.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Question for any of you guys that have removed the active air dam. Once removed, are there any lights, warnings, check engine light associated with removal?

Recently made a trip down to Lone Pine, CA with the wife and at times I scraped that damn thing while one some trails. No damage, just annoying AF. Will eventually be running a Chassis Unlimited Octane front winch bumper but for now, just removing the whole thing along with the plastic lower air dam attached to the bumper would give just a tad bit more clearance for approach angle.

Thanks for any input.

You were going +35mph on a dirt road and scraped the AAD? Damn! :LOL:

MattGalmish

Reaction score
You were going +35mph on a dirt road and scraped the AAD? Damn! :LOL:

Hahahaha no no. I’ve seen the AAD deployed while driving and I’m pretty darn sure it would look like **** without that lower plastic one that’s attached to the bumper.

Was planning on just removing both. The CU octane front bumper does away with them anyways too. I was thinking about doing it now.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hahahaha no no. I’ve seen the AAD deployed while driving and I’m pretty darn sure it would look like **** without that lower plastic one that’s attached to the bumper.

Was planning on just removing both. The CU octane front bumper does away with them anyways too. I was thinking about doing it now.

Ahh, I see...you were scraping the fixed dam. Check with @mikeru82. He removed both of his dams and I don't think he got any codes or errors.

Brunzca

Reaction score
I removed both a few months ago after reading about quite a few others doing it, no issues so far. No lights, warnings, etc. have had oil changed at dealership, no mention of it there. Just make sure to seal off the plug when you disconnect it (obviously) to keep it dry.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the AAD weighs?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just remove both air dams last night. no codes or lights on the first day but weirdly enough my 12 in screen and instrumental cluster went black for like a second on one of my trips although I do not think it would be related.
without air dams.jpg

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues with removing both the active air dam and fixed plastic valance. Good possibility of it tripping a background DTC code, but it will not trigger a check engine/dash light of any sort.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ripped the AAD off my truck Saturday playing in the mud. Granted the motor is still connected, but not codes. Will eventually remove it completely

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ripped the AAD off my truck Saturday playing in the mud. Granted the motor is still connected, but not codes. Will eventually remove it completely
It look fun as hell but that engine pic with the mud and having to wash it after wards weird but it would make me nervous.
are you thinking about making your own front skid plate eventually. The bumpers on our built to serve are suppose to be metal but not sure how much they could handle.
wondering if just adding a piece of tubular across would be enough. seen a few here make their own skid plates. seems simple enough

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It look fun as hell but that engine pic with the mud and having to wash it after wards weird but it would make me nervous.
are you thinking about making your own front skid plate eventually. The bumpers on our built to serve are suppose to be metal but not sure how much they could handle.
wondering if just adding a piece of tubular across would be enough. seen a few here make their own skid plates. seems simple enough
Eventually I'd like to just get steel off-road bumpers front and rear.

Washing it took a while because I was trying to avoid getting myself covered in mud. Having the front level, 1" rear spacers and 34" tires made getting underneath easier. It's pretty much all cleaned up now. Need to do a good wash with soap and cloths, And not just spraying water, and still need to clean interior. It's no worse than being dirty from driving to my parents who live in a gravel road now.

Not sure if I will do it again. These tires might not last until the next one they do, and not planning on using MT tires next time.

Julio13

Reaction score
Removed both yesterday today I get alert on Uconnect app but no check engine light this is the alert if anybody has a fix

6cd2e6c5b8c83ae942d8c25bc80242e8.jpg

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
nothing like that on my end. Its being a month and all good.
I don't think its due to removing the ADD.
A not so detail search points to fuel contamination as one of the causes but it is recommended to check with the dealer.
Are you loosing power or truck stalling.
I think this issue was mentioned in a HD forum,
fuel pump? or faulty sensor? maybe
Hopefully some one else will have some better advise

Julio13

Reaction score
No everything seems good except for that message in app

Eticket1337

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Removed mine on a 2022 and have had no issues. Unfortunate coincidence