5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acrid smell after driving coming from engine bay.

Fran Hicks

Reaction score
I love my 19, 5.7 RAM but since new there was a very acrid smell coming from the engine bay after shutting down the engine after a short drive. Smell is somewhat like the smell coming from a battery that is being badly overcharged. The battery has been ruled out and has actually been replaced and no change to the smell issue. After considerable back and forth with the dealer service manager, in 2020, he told me he found a service bulletin from the factory discussing the issue and it recommended changing the plastic fan shroud stating that it was related to the type of plastic from which it was made. He subsequently ordered a new shroud and installed it under warrantee. At first it seemed the issue was gone or at least minimized a lot. As I continued to drive the truck the smell became worse to the same point where it had been. I continue to drive the truck, which I love, and just try to ignore the smell when shutting down.

Users who are viewing this thread