5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little help please

flipback23

Reaction score
I have some led bed lights that I want to install in my truck bed, but I want them to also turn on when I unlock the car like the rest of the lights do any idea on where I would tap into wire harness coloring wise that would work. I was going to wire them to a switch as well so I can manually turn them on and off like they are supposed to do. But I like the idea of having them come on like the overhead (CHMSL)cargo bed light does when opening the doors or unlocking the car. I assume if I try and to tap directly in the CHMSL Id have to try and remove my headliner etc in order to run all the wiring from there to the bed. FYI 2019 Ram Rebel
Thanks

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some led bed lights that I want to install in my truck bed, but I want them to also turn on when I unlock the car like the rest of the lights do any idea on where I would tap into wire harness coloring wise that would work. I was going to wire them to a switch as well so I can manually turn them on and off like they are supposed to do. But I like the idea of having them come on like the overhead (CHMSL)cargo bed light does when opening the doors or unlocking the car. I assume if I try and to tap directly in the CHMSL Id have to try and remove my headliner etc in order to run all the wiring from there to the bed. FYI 2019 Ram Rebel
Thanks
Instead of wiring them from the headliner for power why not just buy a fuse tap and replace the fuse with the new fuse tap so u can run the power from the engine bay to the bed? Just thinking of removing the headliner gives me a head ache.

flipback23

Reaction score
Instead of wiring them from the headliner for power why not just buy a fuse tap and replace the fuse with the new fuse tap so u can run the power from the engine bay to the bed? Just thinking of removing the headliner gives me a head ache.
I have taps but Im not sure the lights would respond to doors opening or the car being unlocked. Thats why I question if I have to tap directly into the harness for them to work light that. Hopefully my original post was clear on that lol. I basically want them to work two ways automatically with the doors or if car is unlocked at night, or manually by switch like the cargo box light.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a t tap u can do somewhere underneath the steering wheel that u can run through the firewall rather than removing the
Headliner. I did that on my Gmc Sierra I used to own. I tapped into a wire underneath to add footwell LEDs . Let me take a look at the wiring.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
This thread will help you out. This is what I did and it worked great.

Bed Lighting Kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipback23

Reaction score
This thread will help you out. This is what I did and it worked great.

Bed Lighting Kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome thank you so much will be working on this this weekend much appreciated.

flipback23

Reaction score
Got them in and working! Thanks @Mustangmike66 for pointing me in the right direction and thanks to @Jordan2929 for the awesome write up that I followed to get er done. While I was at it I installed a 6 switch gang controller, diyed a tie down system for the bed, and got my light bar and rear lights on my rack wired up and working. Next up is my rock lights.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 25
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg