5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of TRX spec questions as they relate to heavy off-roading.

sdog

Reaction score
So I have my build in and I'm having second thoughts about two specific options.

The truck is going to spend most of its life in Northern Arizona in the Sedona area where mrs soulsea and I spend around three months a year.

Whilst there it will be used as intended and probably do more off road miles than on ... anything from high speed trails and dunes to serious mountain passes.

Predictably, my previous truck that I used for this purpose was an 18 Raptor. It was built by ADD, it performed great, no complaints, no issues, it was just time to move to something else.

When I specced that truck I was cautioned on getting a moonroof on a truck that isn't going to be a mall queen. That was good advice cause when I did the free Raptor Assault course half the trucks there had their roofs stuck off the rails, and what they do there doesn't even qualify as moderate off roading.

They other thing I was told to pass on was what I think was called the technology package, and iirc it included things like adaptive cruse and lane keep assist. Anyway that was also a good suggestion for those who were planning off road bumpers and lights cause those would interfere with the sensors.

Are those two concerns valid here as well? Right now I have both options clicked but I can change it.

I guess what I'm asking is anyone who had driven their truck hard off road have any issues with the moonroof and has anyone had issues with accessories interring with sensors?

Thanks

A few pics of the dirt life: :)

IMG_3392_zpscgk9v7ei.jpg

IMG_3363_zpshaj57oov.jpg

IMG_3356_zpscgv7x7gt.jpg

IMG_3059.JPG

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have my build in and I'm having second thoughts about two specific options.

The truck is going to spend most of its life in Northern Arizona in the Sedona area where mrs soulsea and I spend around three months a year.

Whilst there it will be used as intended and probably do more off road miles than on ... anything from high speed trails and dunes to serious mountain passes.

Predictably, my previous truck that I used for this purpose was an 18 Raptor. It was built by ADD, it performed great, no complaints, no issues, it was just time to move to something else.

When I specced that truck I was cautioned on getting a moonroof on a truck that isn't going to be a mall queen. That was good advice cause when I did the free Raptor Assault course half the trucks there had their roofs stuck off the rails, and what they do there doesn't even qualify as moderate off roading.

They other thing I was told to pass on was what I think was called the technology package, and iirc it included things like adaptive cruse and lane keep assist. Anyway that was also a good suggestion for those who were planning off road bumpers and lights cause those would interfere with the sensors.

Are those two concerns valid here as well? Right now I have both options clicked but I can change it.

I guess what I'm asking is anyone who had driven their truck hard off road have any issues with the moonroof and has anyone had issues with accessories interring with sensors?

Thanks

IMG_3392_zpscgk9v7ei.jpg

IMG_3363_zpshaj57oov.jpg

IMG_3356_zpscgv7x7gt.jpg

IMG_3059.JPG
I think there are two ways of looking at this...if you're going to do some extreme rock crawling...I'd be cautious about the moonroof (there's a reason why Jeep Wranglers usually don't have moonroofs)
On the flip side...if you're just in sand/dirt/moderate off road trails like most of AZ and NV...you can still get by with having the moonroof. So in short...if you're doing extreme rock crawling to the point where you clench your knuckles on the steering wheel...I'd pass on both, if not...then totally your preference.

Juiced6

Reaction score
Id save your money on both.

Drove a Rubicon Gladiator with the adaptive speed control and it seemed like it was always wanting to brake. No thanks. And im pretty sure the sensors are in the bumpers so if you do go aftermarket it would probably be a pain to swap over.

im a less is more kind of guy

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks

IMG_3392_zpscgk9v7ei.jpg

IMG_3363_zpshaj57oov.jpg

IMG_3356_zpscgv7x7gt.jpg

IMG_3059.JPG

The sunroof is worth the money if you are going to use it. I couldn't live without mine. Everything I have driven a 5th Gen, I hate it. The sunroof opens up the cabin and creates a more of an open atmosphere. The technology package does add the new heads up display which is nice. However, if you don't have adaptive cruise control now and can live without it, save your money.

Users who are viewing this thread