5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C On, Fan Speed 4 at Every Cold Start

gybob

Reaction score
I saw a related thread that died off in Feb of 19 with no answers.

In my 2019 Limited, with climate control in Auto, every time I start the engine, the A/C is on and the fan speed it at 4 - regardless of ambient temp and climate control temp setting. That's fine in the summer, but when it's 40F outside, I don't need automatic A/C b lowing cold every time I start the truck. I have to press the fan "down" button to take it out of Auto and reduce the fan speed to stop the cold air from blowing on me. After about 5 or 6 minutes, I can press the Auto button and it will act like an automatic system.

The 17 Limited that I had worked perfectly. Year round, I never touched the climate control buttons. The first one did exactly the same thing. Two (waste of my time) trips to the dealer with no resolution for that one. Very aggravating to have a new truck that is so completely satisfying in so many respects, yet so miserably deficient in this respect. For what it's worth, this is the second 19 Limited that I've owned.

The Uconnect & FCA websites say that all of my software is up to date.

Has anyone experienced this, and more importantly, has anyone experienced this and had the issue resolved?

Last edited:

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remote start it, it’ll be just right when you get in. Its what I do. I agree that it’s too cold at initial start with cold air blowing directly in your face during winter months.

gybob

Reaction score
Remote start it, it’ll be just right when you get in. Its what I do. I agree that it’s too cold at initial start with cold air blowing directly in your face during winter months.
Yep. Thank you. Works fine when I'm leaving work (parked outdoors), but since I keep her in the garage at home, that's not an option at home.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I saw a related thread that died off in Feb of 19 with no answers.

In my 2019 Limited, with climate control in Auto, every time I start the engine, the A/C is on and the fan speed it at 4 - regardless of ambient temp and climate control temp setting. That's fine in the summer, but when it's 40F outside, I don't need automatic A/C b lowing cold every time I start the truck. I have to press the fan "down" button to take it out of Auto and reduce the fan speed to stop the cold air from blowing on me. After about 5 or 6 minutes, I can press the Auto button and it will act like an automatic system.

The 17 Limited that I had worked perfectly. Year round, I never touched the climate control buttons. The first one did exactly the same thing. Two (waste of my time) trips to the dealer with no resolution for that one. Very aggravating to have a new truck that is so completely satisfying in so many respects, yet so miserably deficient in this respect. For what it's worth, this is the second 19 Limited that I've owned.

The Uconnect & FCA websites say that all of my software is up to date.

Has anyone experienced this, and more importantly, has anyone experienced this and had the issue resolved?
Mine does the same thing. It's really annoying! Going to the dealer Tuesday for a fluid leak. I plan to ask if there is a flash to fix that problem. You have to wonder what they were thinking when they programmed that logic.

All the other vehicles that I've owned with automatic climate control also ran at startup to keep the windows defrosted, but they were at the lowest fan speed until the vehicle warmed up.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is an issue with the software, it was not fixed with the most recent release - I was told another update would be out in Q4, but nothing yet. Keep us posted.

Dtbrew

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. It's really annoying! Going to the dealer Tuesday for a fluid leak. I plan to ask if there is a flash to fix that problem. You have to wonder what they were thinking when they programmed that logic.

All the other vehicles that I've owned with automatic climate control also ran at startup to keep the windows defrosted, but they were at the lowest fan speed until the vehicle warmed up.

I have the same annoyance. Can't wait until it gets below zero here in a month or two.

Same as you every other vehicle I have driven with auto temperature control leaves the fan speed down until it is warmed up. I hope firecadet is correct and there is a fix coming. I will add this to my list when I go in to get my non-functional tailgate ajar indicator fixed.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same annoyance. Can't wait until it gets below zero here in a month or two.

Same as you every other vehicle I have driven with auto temperature control leaves the fan speed down until it is warmed up. I hope firecadet is correct and there is a fix coming. I will add this to my list when I go in to get my non-functional tailgate ajar indicator fixed.

Let us know how it goes and if there is an update to the software.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Had my truck at the dealer for other repairs. While it was in they checked the climate control function.

The dealer stated that the high speed fan at startup blowing out cold air is normal operation.

Yeah, they just don't get it.

I told them all the other vehicles I had with climate control start out with a low speed fan just to keep the windows defrosted, but they still stuck with the "normal operation" statement.

You just can't win.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Had my truck at the dealer for other repairs. While it was in they checked the climate control function.

The dealer stated that the high speed fan at startup blowing out cold air is normal operation.

I told them all the other vehicles I had with climate control start out with a low speed fan just to keep the windows defrosted, but they still stuck with the "normal operation" statement.

You just can't win.
Of course they’re going to say that. When they don’t know, they always pull the ’ol “works as designed“ or ”normal operation” bs.
Unfriggin-real...

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You just can't win.

Give it time...let's see if this HVAC update really comes to fruition! I will say, this is a small annoyance compared to my F150 with the frozen door latches the dealer tried to say they "couldn't duplicate".

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Give it time...let's see if this HVAC update really comes to fruition! I will say, this is a small annoyance compared to my F150 with the frozen door latches the dealer tried to say they "couldn't duplicate".
Sure, but these trucks are not new anymore, so I seriously doubt we will be seeing this magical update that everyone‘s wishing for... This has been an issue for me for over a year and a half. For others, even longer...

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, but these trucks are not new anymore, so I seriously doubt we will be seeing this magical update that everyone‘s wishing for... This has been an issue for me for over a year and a half. For others, even longer...

I took delivery in early June 2018....so I hear you on that!

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. June 2018. You’d think that by now they would have had some of those things figured out, right?

Squeeky wheels get the grease. I haven't been very active on this forum for a while, but it doesn't look like this has been a "major" issue to many. Compared to the Ford frozen door lock fiasco on my 2016, which they "fixed" in 2017, but were installing the same faulty parts in 2018 and many had the same issue with their brand new trucks. I'm not holding my breath or returning to my dealer for this until someone on here posts its resolved. Not worth the time or aggravation to keep going back.

Rayzram

Reaction score
Mine is at dealer currently. This is 1 of the 24 complaints they are supposed to look into. Nothing like being blasted with freezing air every time i start it.

Users who are viewing this thread