5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C bypass or delete belt

DontDODGEitRAMit

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram 1500 bighorn 5.7l 4x4 with 36k miles. Ac clutch melted on me and need to bypass it so I can still drive my truck. Does anyone know the bypass belt size for 5th gen hemi's?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you are interested in how to bypass the ac, this is how I did it.
Removed the ac compressor and measured the route I figured would best give me clearance and still hit all the vital pulleys. This measured out to 83 inches, which is not a common size for 7 rib belts .
NAPA has one that is 82.75 inches. The part number for this is 070822.

The routing of the belt is basically the same, except you don't use the idler pulley that is below the alternator. Also, of course, the ac pulley.

The fit was almost perfect. Had to lift a little higher on the tensioner to get it over the alternator, but it snugged right up.

I left the steel plate that attaches to the studs, under the ac, off for clearance purposes.

Also try unplugging the compressor wiring harness and see if that deenergizes and frees up the clutch

DontDODGEitRAMit

Reaction score
Good information. I'll start the measuring process
If you are interested in how to bypass the ac, this is how I did it.
Removed the ac compressor and measured the route I figured would best give me clearance and still hit all the vital pulleys. This measured out to 83 inches, which is not a common size for 7 rib belts .
NAPA has one that is 82.75 inches. The part number for this is 070822.

The routing of the belt is basically the same, except you don't use the idler pulley that is below the alternator. Also, of course, the ac pulley.

The fit was almost perfect. Had to lift a little higher on the tensioner to get it over the alternator, but it snugged right up.

I left the steel plate that attaches to the studs, under the ac, off for clearance purposes.

Also try unplugging the compressor wiring harness and see if that deenergizes and frees up the clutch
Good information Bowdown. I'll start the measuring process. The internet searches did not help with this at all.

Users who are viewing this thread