5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8th gear in Tow Haul

Dietz5285

Reaction score
Does Tow Haul not allow 8th gear ? I know there are a lot of variables but the tranny never gets above 7th gear even when in Tow Haul with nothing being pulled. The ECO light never shows either when in Tow Haul.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MDS is shut down in tow haul mode so you will not see the ECO light come on and when you select tow/haul it changes the RPMs where you will not need the 8th gear. A lot of guys use the manual gear limit selector in tow haul to have more control of the gears.

Zinger

Reaction score
Tow/haul WILL allow 8th gear, but only when the conditions are right. I've seen 8th at times when I'm towing but the speed I'm traveling and the grade must be just right.

My advice when towing is to forget about gas mileage and let the truck do it's thing. No use worrying about pennies at the expense of a transmission or your own safety.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tow/haul WILL allow 8th gear, but only when the conditions are right. I've seen 8th at times when I'm towing but the speed I'm traveling and the grade must be just right.

My advice when towing is to forget about gas mileage and let the truck do it's thing. No use worrying about pennies at the expense of a transmission or your own safety.

Agree, I always let the truck do it's thing, in Tow /Haul or not.

Like mentioned above, in Tow / Haul, the truck has the full range of gears to select from, however, the way it chooses to select them is different, as it prioritizes economy, power, and refinement differently than the normal shift map.

MDS is disabled any time you have Tow / Haul on, or anytime you manually select a gear using the Gear Limit Selector buttons on the steering wheel.

runamuck

Reaction score
I never noticed what gear mine gets up to but I often see about 1975 -2000 rpms so I think it gets into 8th. I even see the eco light sometimes on flat roads at 69-70 ish. my trailer is 6000#

Users who are viewing this thread