5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4 vs the 12.1 screen

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering a new truck. I think the 12.1 is cool and awesome looking but wonder if I would like the 8.4 because a little less bling and physical knobs. Is there any other reason to pick the 12.1 over the 8.4 other than just the size of screen? I am also wondering what it will cost to replace if that ever needs to happen.Thanks.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering a new truck. I think the 12.1 is cool and awesome looking but wonder if I would like the 8.4 because a little less bling and physical knobs. Is there any other reason to pick the 12.1 over the 8.4 other than just the size of screen? I am also wondering what it will cost to replace if that ever needs to happen.Thanks.
IDK. All I can tell you, is that I could never, ever go back to anything smaller now that I’ve experienced the 12”.

Only you can decide. I’d test drive both and see for yourself.

Cheers,

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove both, Was 100% convinced before getting to the dealership I wanted the 12" screen. Turns out I found it distracting and preferred having the physical knobs for ac controls but beyond that the one thing I really wanted because both my girlfriend and I use frequently were physical buttons to control the heated and cooled seats. I also like the location of the physical controls down low on the center stack versus towards the top where they were placed on the 12". Seams minor but after driving both trucks for quite a while I opted for the 8.4. I also prefer the look of the 8.4 in the center stack I think it looks cleaner the 12" looks wedged in there to me particularly where the volume and track knobs flare out next to the AC vents. Just my opinion though. Like Neurobit said, drive both and decide but spend some time getting to know both before you get out on the road. No joke both have a lot of functionality and you could spend an hour jest messing with everything getting it setup to your liking before even getting on the road.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I drove both, Was 100% convinced before getting to the dealership I wanted the 12" screen. Turns out I found it distracting and preferred having the physical knobs for ac controls but beyond that the one thing I really wanted because both my girlfriend and I use frequently were physical buttons to control the heated and cooled seats. I also like the location of the physical controls down low on the center stack versus towards the top where they were placed on the 12". Seams minor but after driving both trucks for quite a while I opted for the 8.4. I also prefer the look of the 8.4 in the center stack I think it looks cleaner the 12" looks wedged in there to me particularly where the volume and track knobs flare out next to the AC vents. Just my opinion though. Like Neurobit said, drive both and decide but spend some time getting to know both before you get out on the road. No joke both have a lot of functionality and you could spend an hour jest messing with everything getting it setup to your liking before even getting on the road.

I tend to agree. My initial post didn't read well but I do like the physicality and utilitarian feel of the bigger knobs. The 8.4 would be a wonderful centerpiece if you didn't know the 12.1 existed. It seems like it could be overwhelming or cumbersome for just the simple tasks. Marketing makes me feel crazy for not going for the 12.1 but it just seems almost too much for me. I may not be able to change my order at this point (4 days ago) but I'll inquire.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tend to agree. My initial post didn't read well but I do like the physicality and utilitarian feel of the bigger knobs. The 8.4 would be a wonderful centerpiece if you didn't know the 12.1 existed. It seems like it could be overwhelming or cumbersome for just the simple tasks. Marketing makes me feel crazy for not going for the 12.1 but it just seems almost too much for me. I may not be able to change my order at this point (4 days ago) but I'll inquire.
What trim did you order? The cost to upgrade to the 12 can be expensive on the Laramie depending on what other packages you got. For my truck it was going to cost another 4 grand granted that added other features I really didn't want along with it.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
What trim did you order? The cost to upgrade to the 12 can be expensive on the Laramie depending on what other packages you got. For my truck it was going to cost another 4 grand granted that added other features I really didn't want along with it.
It's a loaded Laramie so the 12.1 cost an additional $1,295

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a loaded Laramie so the 12.1 cost an additional $1,295[/QUOTE
This is my first Ram first FCA product actually, I will see how it does then decide from there, might upgrade in 3 years to another Ram with more options, or jump to another brand again, so far it's been fantastic though and I really enjoy driving it, but you know the other mfgs are going to step up their game to compete with it and hopefully ram steps up to stay ahead of them.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
This will be my 3rd Ram if I get it. I am also looking at the GMC Sierra AT4 but its more money for less truck and build options but I like the way the GMC looks and it does have some different features. I wish I could be the guy that buys a truck and holds on to it forever but lately that has not been my trend.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This will be my 3rd Ram if I get it. I am also looking at the GMC Sierra AT4 but its more money for less truck and build options but I like the way the GMC looks and it does have some different features. I wish I could be the guy that buys a truck and holds on to it forever but lately that has not been my trend.
Every 3 years for me, traded out s GMC slt z71 that I hated to the point I wasn't interested in 2019s , looked at one anyways and the interior was garbage I felt like they went backwards in that department, I thought the exterior was ok , the more of them I see on the road the less I like them. Definitely look better with paint matched front ends for sure.

spike2c

Reaction score
IDK. All I can tell you, is that I could never, ever go back to anything smaller now that I’ve experienced the 12”.

Only you can decide. I’d test drive both and see for yourself.

Cheers,
Thats what she said

Users who are viewing this thread