5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4 UConnect vs. UConnect with Nav Question

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Hi All. Just ordered a 2022 Ram Laramie Sport, now the wait begins. I selected the UConnect without Nav, as I prefer to use Apple Maps or Waze for navigation. Just confirming the only difference in the Nav version vs standard 8.4 UConnect is I won't have stand alone GPS? Or are there other features the non nav version has that I left on the table? I'm second guessing myself now, and wondering if I should have ponied up the extra $795 for Nav...

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi All. Just ordered a 2022 Ram Laramie Sport, now the wait begins. I selected the UConnect without Nav, as I prefer to use Apple Maps or Waze for navigation. Just confirming the only difference in the Nav version vs standard 8.4 UConnect is I won't have stand alone GPS? Or are there other features the non nav version has that I left on the table? I'm second guessing myself now, and wondering if I should have ponied up the extra $795 for Nav...
According to the Ram website the Nav radio also has Hotspot capability, traffic and travel services, and the Ram Connect service (3 mo trial included, subscription required).

Personally, I wouldn't pay for those services anyway.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
I just got 22 Laramie non-nav …. Don’t regret my decision at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear. With the UConnect 5 having wireless CarPlay, I suspect I won't miss Nav either. I don't need a hotspot or drive alerts. What's the deal on Ram's version of OnStar (sorry, I've only had GM products before now, and don't know what Ram calls it). Will I be able to remote start the truck from my phone? How about theft tracking and querying the truck to see fuel levels, oil life, etc? Will it do this with the base 8.4 UConnect unit?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All of that is part of SXM Guardian, which is a paid service:

I'm not sure if you can put it on your non-nav unit. You would have to call Sirius XM to find out (if someone doesn't chime in).

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to hear. With the UConnect 5 having wireless CarPlay, I suspect I won't miss Nav either. I don't need a hotspot or drive alerts. What's the deal on Ram's version of OnStar (sorry, I've only had GM products before now, and don't know what Ram calls it). Will I be able to remote start the truck from my phone? How about theft tracking and querying the truck to see fuel levels, oil life, etc? Will it do this with the base 8.4 UConnect unit?

Yes, there is a Ram app that you will install when you pick up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All of that is part of SXM Guardian, which is a paid service:

I'm not sure if you can put it on your non-nav unit. You would have to call Sirius XM to find out (if someone doesn't chime in).
For '22 it's Ram Connect (different service/app) same basic functionality though. Not sure of cost difference.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 19 and 21 both had/have non-nav and a someone mentioned that means no HD radio even though uconnect website says they both have it - this is something I am upset about but really no recourse as Ram doesn't care and ignored my complaint. Sirius Guardian and the newer Ram Connect also do not work because I don't have the upgraded overhead console with the sos button but that may be trim related? Was a surprise because my 2014 Big Horn had the uconnect app with remote start etc.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For '22 it's Ram Connect (different service/app) same basic functionality though. Not sure of cost difference.
It seems like RAM and SXM keep changing the names of bundles and packages to keep you guessing. That's probably to hide the fact that you are getting less for "no cost difference" :unsure:.

The free trials have gotten shorter too. I got 12 months of SXM and Guardian, and 5 years for traffic, Travel Link, and weather (only 2 years, 3 months, and 8 days left of #@*!!@ weather alerts to go ;)). Now it looks like it's 6 months across the board for all trials.

My 19 and 21 both had/have non-nav and a someone mentioned that means no HD radio even though uconnect website says they both have it - this is something I am upset about but really no recourse as Ram doesn't care and ignored my complaint. Sirius Guardian and the newer Ram Connect also do not work because I don't have the upgraded overhead console with the sos button but that may be trim related? Was a surprise because my 2014 Big Horn had the uconnect app with remote start etc.
That was a thread that lasted over 2 years until it fizzled:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread