5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4 Non Nav - Aftermarket

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their 8.4 Non Nav unit to an aftermarket unit that has Nav? If so does the aftermarket unit work with the backup camera? Currently in the build process of a 2021. I'm not really a fan of the 12" UConnect system and quite honestly I hate the fact that all auto manufacturers want to charge you $200 or more every time there's a map update that is released. If I saved money and just went with the 8.4 Non Nav and replaced it with an aftermarket Nav unit I'd have up to date maps all the time. Anyone do this already?

sppb32

Reaction score
You don't need a headunit with navigation when you have Adroid Auto or Apple car play, they are always up to date and free of charge.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
You don't need a headunit with navigation when you have Adroid Auto or Apple car play, they are always up to date and free of charge.
Are you able to broadcast those maps onto the Uconnect unit when your phone is connected to it?

sppb32

Reaction score
Are you able to broadcast those maps onto the Uconnect unit when your phone is connected to it?
Absolutely, as soon as you plug your android phone on the USB the navigation loads right up automatically

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Absolutely, as soon as you plug your android phone on the USB the navigation loads right up automatically
That's perfect, just what I wanted to know. Thanks for your help. So even if the truck came with the 8.4 Nav, you could still use your phone instead. You have an option between the two?

sppb32

Reaction score
Yes, not just the navigation but also other music apps you can controll them from your head unit touchscreen

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's perfect, just what I wanted to know. Thanks for your help. So even if the truck came with the 8.4 Nav, you could still use your phone instead. You have an option between the two?
Correct if you have the NAV, you can use the built in Navigation, Apple Maps from CarPlay or Google Maps from Android Auto. If you don't have the NAV, you can use all that too except for the built in Navigation obviously. Waze can be used too, or even Google Maps on CarPlay is now available. All must be done while connected tho, via wire. Wireless is not supported on 2019-2021 models, but I believe it is for UConnect 5; expect 2022 model year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread