5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4 Nav gloss black bezel work on 8.4 non Nav unit?

Mgibson454

Reaction score
Hello, I'm torn between a couple of trucks and I'm hoping to pull the trigger on my first Ram here in the next few days!

I love the look of the gloss black trim around the 8.4 Nav unit but can't find one locally with what I want in the color I want. I did find one with everything I'm looking for minus the Nav. I will primarily use Android auto so don't care about the Nav, just prefer the look of the gloss black trim. Does anyone know if it will fit on the non Nav unit? And if there is a part number for this? I've searched and can't find much on the topic.

Thanks!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello, I'm torn between a couple of trucks and I'm hoping to pull the trigger on my first Ram here in the next few days!

I love the look of the gloss black trim around the 8.4 Nav unit but can't find one locally with what I want in the color I want. I did find one with everything I'm looking for minus the Nav. I will primarily use Android auto so don't care about the Nav, just prefer the look of the gloss black trim. Does anyone know if it will fit on the non Nav unit? And if there is a part number for this? I've searched and can't find much on the topic.

Thanks!

You have to consider what you get with the “gloss black bezel”. HD Radio, obviously Navigation and Sirius connect services where you can use an app on your phone to start and unlock your truck. If those services don’t matter to you, then swapping bezels would probably work.

Mgibson454

Reaction score
I primarily listen to XM so the HD radio isn't a big deal, and I wouldn't say the NAV or Sirius Connect would be used too much. I'm still trying to find one with it but just wanted to know if this would be a backup option. Thanks!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I primarily listen to XM so the HD radio isn't a big deal, and I wouldn't say the NAV or Sirius Connect would be used too much. I'm still trying to find one with it but just wanted to know if this would be a backup option. Thanks!

Yeah, I used the app on my phone once to see if it worked and said “neat”. Haven’t touched it since and I do prefer google maps over the built in Nav. I do however enjoy HD radio and that is what forced me to this HU.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will not work. You can’t swap the bezel they are completely different

You would have to upgrade to the Nav unit and that’s a new screen and new radio unit and other issues

rmonte4

Reaction score
It will not work. You can’t swap the bezel they are completely different

You would have to upgrade to the Nav unit and that’s a new screen and new radio unit and other issues

I really want the gloss black bezel but i Really do not have any use for Sirus or Navigation. I just now learned the Gloss only comes with Nav, i want to find out if i can buy just the Bezel to replace the plain one. This comment makes me nervous but i wonder how accurate it is. When you look at the 8.4 without Nav and the 8.4 with Nav, the Bezel shape is identical . So what is he talking about?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are different.. my comment is 100% correct. Your non nav is all a 1 piece unit and the nav is not the screen attaches to the bezel and the non nav attaches to the sub dash

SNBI07

Reaction score
The posts saying that it’s not possible are accurate. I have a non nav flat black bezel and I bought a gloss black unit and tried to make it work. The mounting points of the gloss black bezel for the nav screen are completely different on the back side. It will not work unless you get a new screen along with a new bezel.

Jsouma

Reaction score
Has nobody tried just disassembling the Matt black bezel and paying someone for a professional gloss black vinyl wrap? Literally about 8$ of material. Maybe 50$ fir an hour of their time.

RJS19

Reaction score
Has nobody tried just disassembling the Matt black bezel and paying someone for a professional gloss black vinyl wrap? Literally about 8$ of material. Maybe 50$ fir an hour of their time.
I have a '21 RAM on order and was thinking the same thing. I used my '19 Durango bezel (was also matt black) as a test and wrapped it in vinyl myself. RAM Bezel should be slightly easier (less button holes and and no chrome insert). I think it looks really good.

It takes some work but is relatively simple to remove the button modules. I used 3M 2080, ordered a piece 5x's what I needed for $30. 19DD.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread