5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel?

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
1784 lb payload 2020 RAM 1500 BIG HORN 5.7,3.21can it legally tow the 5th wheel on the far right Screenshot_20220926-123151_Gmail.jpg

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
Good luck, theres alot staked against you. 3.21 gears to start, 880 is pin weight empty then you have to add the weight of a slider hitch with a short bed

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pin weight will be 20-25%

Loaded to it’s 7,880 lb GVWR puts you between 1,576 - 1,970 lbs

Also 3.21 = 13,900 lbs GCWR

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
loaded the fifth wheel pin weight will be around 1200 pounds, add to that the fifth wheel slider attachment in the bed, it only give you about 300 to 400 pounds left, so it depends on how many you will be in the truck, unless your planning of not putting anything in the fifth wheel

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
1/2 ton trucks are not designed to tow 5th wheel trailers. It's more than just how much your truck can tow, it's also the strength of the frame, gearing, cooling, transmission and more. No respectable RV dealer would even suggest a 5th wheel, let alone install a 5th wheel hitch on a 1/2 ton truck.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck, theres alot staked against you. 3.21 gears to start, 880 is pin weight empty then you have to add the weight of a slider hitch with a short bed
Actually you don't need a slider. Most if not all fivers have a tapered front, so no slider needed. I use a Andersen Ultimate that weighs less than 40#. and the under bed B&W weight of 90#. Far less than a slider. My 2wd Limited is rated for 1385# load capacity, and his Bighorn seams to have a higher rating than mine. If he is an experienced tower, I really see no problem other than the 3.21's, and that may not be that big of a problem other than running mostly in 6/7th geer.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be a few that would work. Like this one.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually you don't need a slider. Most if not all fivers have a tapered front, so no slider needed. I use a Andersen Ultimate that weighs less than 40#. and the under bed B&W weight of 90#. Far less than a slider. My 2wd Limited is rated for 1385# load capacity, and his Bighorn seams to have a higher rating than mine. If he is an experienced tower, I really see no problem other than the 3.21's, and that may not be that big of a problem other than running mostly in 6/7th geer.
in this case the only problem would be payload,.. if you put the basic stuff in the fifth wheel, including filling the propane tanks ( all 3 of them)... and everything, he will be near the max fifth wheel weight and that will put a pin weight of near 1200 pounds,.. deduct another about 200pound for the driver,

theres only about 340 pounds lefts of play for other passengers, pets, and luggages... thats shorts..

can it be done sure, is it made for it? not so sure,

if its only for short distance , no big hills,... okay,.. if he keeps a eye on the weight of stuff he put in his 5th wheel and truck

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
in this case the only problem would be payload,.. if you put the basic stuff in the fifth wheel, including filling the propane tanks ( all 3 of them)... and everything, he will be near the max fifth wheel weight and that will put a pin weight of near 1200 pounds,.. deduct another about 200pound for the driver,

theres only about 340 pounds lefts of play for other passengers, pets, and luggages... thats shorts..

can it be done sure, is it made for it? not so sure,

if its only for short distance , no big hills,... okay,.. if he keeps a eye on the weight of stuff he put in his 5th wheel and truck
Speculation on your part. If he runs through the scales and loads appropriately he just might be well within his load limits.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i didnt say he would be over nor he cant do it, i only said he would be close to the limite, and would have to pay attention to it,.. just like you say, load appropriately and verify with scales, calculate how much weight he add in the 5th wheel

and obviously the weight i gave as a exemple was approximatly to give him a idea, but for sure, with equipment in the 5th wheel and propane and everything the pin weight will be more than 880 ponds , how much, that he will have to check

Users who are viewing this thread