5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel 1500 who had the balls

Coolhand5599

Reaction score
Has anyone had the balls to do what’s not to be done I towed a 36’ 5th wheel with my F150 it did fine. Thinking of doing it with my Ram. Anyone brave enough to do this? I know it’s stupid and I shouldn’t but I am stupid. Let’s see your pictures. Please chime in what hitch did you use.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, it being a fifth wheel isn't necesarily the problem. It's the fact that most fifth wheel trailers have pin weights that generally aren't in the half ton capability, however, there are some that do fall within spec. Not sure of the bed length on your F-150, or your Ram but slider hitches are popular among short bed trucks. Also, what are the trailer specs, and what are your truck spec? (load tag on your driver's door lists your trucks payload)

Coolhand5599

Reaction score
Not sure on the specks, they are over as they were with the Ford. My Ford was a 6’6” bed my Ram is 5’6 a big regret. I know it will not be happy on long trips, but I will be taking all short trips. The Ford pulled A 36’ 5th wheel from Indiana to Florida without a problem. It struggled in the mountains but made I’d. But on open road it was fine getting to 65. And then hat was a 2006 F150 with a sliding hitch.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Indiana to Florida is not a short trip...

The facts are, not a whole lot of people are going to have advice or setup info to do what you're trying to do, because you're trying to use the truck way outside it's intended capabilities. The trailer's already too heavy, plus you have to add the weight of a 5th wheel hitch, and a sliding one at that (if it even fits or will clear the cab with the trailer in any position).

A few guys on the Tundra forums that I'm a part of (last truck was a Tundra, loved it) like to brag about how they can tow XX,XXX lbs with their 8 inch bracket lifted trucks on 37's and it "has no problems" with their fifth wheels or goose necks, but yet it somehow seems they're always the same people who are upset that their rear axle bearings are toast at 50,000 miles and can't possibly fathom it because they "bought a Toyota for reliability".

All I'm saying is, you had the opportunity to buy the appropriate truck (because you just bought a new Ram), but you didn't, and now you want others to give you advice on how to use it improperly... Just don't be one of those guys who's all pissed off because your "Fiat is a piece of ****" when something goes wrong from misusing it. Not saying you are that type, just saying, keep your expectations in check, yanno?

Last edited:

deanfx

Reaction score
Without a weight it's hard to have a conversation. Some manufactures of 5th wheels make half ton towable. A good example is Open Range makes a couple really nice ones that weigh in less than 7K.

CMENT

Reaction score
Why chance the liability issue if you know you are overweight?

You get in a wreck while towing that thing you are going have serious issues if another vehicle is involved whether it was your fault or the other vehicle.

Get a beater f250 or trade in the overweight 5ver for something you can legally tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CMENT

Reaction score
Not sure on the specks, they are over as they were with the Ford. My Ford was a 6’6” bed my Ram is 5’6 a big regret. I know it will not be happy on long trips, but I will be taking all short trips. The Ford pulled A 36’ 5th wheel from Indiana to Florida without a problem. It struggled in the mountains but made I’d. But on open road it was fine getting to 65. And then hat was a 2006 F150 with a sliding hitch.

Can you even get a slider hitch in a 5’7” bed? -[edit- I see there are sliders for 1500’s]

Had a Super Glide in my 3500 Mega Cab SRW with the short 6’+ bed and it was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I couldn't care less if you want to wreck your truck like that; but like drunk drivers, you guys tend to take out other people along with you and that's the real problem. Please don't do this.

Users who are viewing this thread