5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th gen single cabs?

RumbleBee

Reaction score
is ram gonna make a single cab 5th gen ram? maybe r/t package?
any news ?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not tat I am aware of as the sales in the 1500 category does not seem to reflect doing so.

M

MJB4450

is ram gonna make a single cab 5th gen ram? maybe r/t package?
any news ?

Just what I'm looking for. The used prices are nutty. Last I heard there may be a change in plans and the 4th gen may continue a couple more years before the 5th gen gets a standard cab if ever. I'm waiting to see if the 2020 4th gen will add some options and not just continue with work truck trim. I'd like to get one. The crew cabs are just bigger then I need or want and the 5th gen are even larger. With all the problems they are having, I've pretty much written off the 5th gens anyway. It's getting slim pickens out there for what I want. Chevy has screwed me too often so I won't buy that. Fords look cheap and I don't care for lawn mower engines with turbos strapped all over it. The new 5.0 has problems. Toyota is behind the times and Honda is too low and too light duty. So if no upper trim 4th gen Ram standard cab next year, I'm out of options.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just what I'm looking for. The used prices are nutty. Last I heard there may be a change in plans and the 4th gen may continue a couple more years before the 5th gen gets a standard cab if ever. I'm waiting to see if the 2020 4th gen will add some options and not just continue with work truck trim. I'd like to get one. The crew cabs are just bigger then I need or want and the 5th gen are even larger. With all the problems they are having, I've pretty much written off the 5th gens anyway. It's getting slim pickens out there for what I want. Chevy has screwed me too often so I won't buy that. Fords look cheap and I don't care for lawn mower engines with turbos strapped all over it. The new 5.0 has problems. Toyota is behind the times and Honda is too low and too light duty. So if no upper trim 4th gen Ram standard cab next year, I'm out of options.
Would a quad cab be a reasonable compromise?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How so? It's the same length as a crew cab just a longer bed and shorter back seat.
You mentioned that crew cabs were too big, but you didn’t say the overall length was an issue...so I was just thinking you might like the smaller cab / longer bed combo. But it sounds like it’s not just the cab that you find too big...you want the whole truck to be shorter.

M

MJB4450

You mentioned that crew cabs were too big, but you didn’t say the overall length was an issue...so I was just thinking you might like the smaller cab / longer bed combo. But it sounds like it’s not just the cab that you find too big...you want the whole truck to be shorter.

Right. I had a Ford Lariat Crew Cab before my Ram R/T and before that a Ford F-150 Extended cab, plus numerous other single cab trucks. I did find myself wanting more space inside to put stuff when I had my Ram R/T but as far as overall size, it was just about right. I like full size trucks for the roominess and ride comfort but when I did have Crew cabs it was just too much of a hassle trying to navigate that Queen Mary sized vehicle in the Yugo sized parking spaces every civil engineer decided to design where I live. And parking downtown with metered parallel parking? Forget it. The Ram standard cab barely fits in those spaces.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Right. I had a Ford Lariat Crew Cab before my Ram R/T and before that a Ford F-150 Extended cab, plus numerous other single cab trucks. I did find myself wanting more space inside to put stuff when I had my Ram R/T but as far as overall size, it was just about right. I like full size trucks for the roominess and ride comfort but when I did have Crew cabs it was just too much of a hassle trying to navigate that Queen Mary sized vehicle in the Yugo sized parking spaces every civil engineer decided to design where I live. And parking downtown with metered parallel parking? Forget it. The Ram standard cab barely fits in those spaces.
Move to the country and buy a normal sized truck;):LOL: all kidding aside these trucks are pretty big, but I wish I got the long bed!

M

MJB4450

Move to the country and buy a normal sized truck;):LOL: all kidding aside these trucks are pretty big, but I wish I got the long bed!

I have 4 acres 30 miles from town. But "Town" still has mini parking lots. Last year I traded my Ram for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 thinking that would be a better fit but I miss my Ram badly. It was far more comfortable and useful. There was a 2016 Ram R/T on a Toyota lot here with only 306 miles on it. You read correctly, 306 miles. Someone beat me to it. So lets get with the program FCA. I need another upper trim Standard Cab pronto.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How so? It's the same length as a crew cab just a longer bed and shorter back seat.
The 5th gen Quad cab is about 4 inches shorter then the 5th gen crew cab short bed so it is a little shorter.

M

MJB4450

The 5th gen Quad cab is about 4 inches shorter then the 5th gen crew cab short bed so it is a little shorter.

Thanks for that info. I did not notice that. So the 5th gen Quad is the same length as the 4th gen Quad and Crew (which is 20" longer then the Standard cab) and the 5th gen Crew is 4" longer than the 4th gens. I'm still hoping they put more options in the 2020 4th Gen Standard cab. I've been on various car Forums for years and I've never seen as many problems as the 2019 Ram has so I'm not inclined to buy any 5th gen. Just read a news report on Ram recalling 340,000 2019 5th gen for air bags now.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MJB4450

Well I see on some of the late builds of the standard cabs they have an option for the full instrument cluster and 8.4 radio. Would be nice to also get the center console. I still would have bought one but none of them have anti-spin diff for some strange reason. So anyone hear anything about the 2020 standard cabs? It's almost August.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been on various car Forums for years and I've never seen as many problems as the 2019 Ram has so I'm not inclined to buy any 5th gen. Just read a news report on Ram recalling 340,000 2019 5th gen for air bags now.

Lol you must not be Looking too hard then. Ford and GM forums are just as bad. Look at the gt350, motors dropping left and right. Multiple iterations of crankshafts AFTER production started because original was trash. And this is a fancy pants car. GT oil pumps left and right. Throwback to 5.4 spark plug issues and that bs transmission before the 6r80.

And GM, where do you even... lifters dropping and the 4l60 in general? 4wd actuators on the NBS trucks always broken.

Users who are viewing this thread