5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen dashboard squeak

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m looking for some suggestions, I’ve began to notice a faint squeaky noise by the front drivers side dashboard. This seems to occur when the temperature outside is warming up from the night before. If happens at around 18 degrees Celsius and sounds like a faint cricket. After about 45 minutes to an hour, it stops but also, drives me nucken futs! Anyone else have this impossible to track noise? You’d have to leave the truck with the dealership in hopes that the same circumstances arise. Hopefully someone has some ideas

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had a similar noise on my truck. Noise would come and go. I found that it was the cowl cover on the exterior.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
I just had a similar noise on my truck. Noise would come and go. I found that it was the cowl cover on the exterior.
Hmm 🤔 that might be a good place to look, it seems to do it sure temperature changes, expansion and contraction at around 18 degrees C. And it sounds like where the vin numbers are, so it might be. I’ll stick a rubber shim in between next time to see if that stops it, then I’ll know if that’s the problem squeaking against the windshield or something else. Appreciate the suggestion 👍🏻😃

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm 🤔 that might be a good place to look, it seems to do it sure temperature changes, expansion and contraction at around 18 degrees C. And it sounds like where the vin numbers are, so it might be. I’ll stick a rubber shim in between next time to see if that stops it, then I’ll know if that’s the problem squeaking against the windshield or something else. Appreciate the suggestion 👍🏻😃
It was rubbing on the cowl area, you could see it rubbed the paint in a couple of spots. There is a foam seal that was completely out of place when I removed the cowl. I could reproduce the noise by pushing on the plastic cowl.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It was rubbing on the cowl area, you could see it rubbed the paint in a couple of spots. There is a foam seal that was completely out of place when I removed the cowl. I could reproduce the noise by pushing on the plastic cowl.

I have some issues like this as well. Only in the winter, when it heats up above 10C I never hear it anymore.

What exactly do you mean by "cowl cover on the exterior"?

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Thanks again 👍🏻it was definitely the cowl cover, need to let everyone know to check this before dropping off their trucks, like for a week or so at the dealership. Sooo FN happy it’s resolved 😃😃

Cqhixi

Reaction score
I had the same squeak, drove me nuts! Went to look at the cowling and found the actual windshield wiper post coming out of the cowling was loose, I could make it squeak by just wiggling it. I’ll look later at how to tighten that up, appreciate someone pointing me to that area, I thought it was interior and behind my dash somewhere.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same squeak, drove me nuts! Went to look at the cowling and found the actual windshield wiper post coming out of the cowling was loose, I could make it squeak by just wiggling it. I’ll look later at how to tighten that up, appreciate someone pointing me to that area, I thought it was interior and behind my dash somewhere.
That most has movement in it, they all have some wiggle.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
It is the wiper post, wd40 it a few times but it comes back, so I’m sitting right now at dealership for warranty replacement

Deano90

Reaction score
It is the wiper post, wd40 it a few times but it comes back, so I’m sitting right now at dealership for warranty replacement
I have this same infuriating squeak. Definitely the drivers side wiper, but unsure if it's the post (wiggles a lot... way more than the passenger side) or the cowl. Did the dealer end up replacing the wiper motor?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this too... music is too loud when I'm alone to notice, and it just never caught my attention till my daughter recently asked about it. Now it's ALL I hear, but never think about it when I'm home.

I'm screenshotting this, so hopefully I can remember to check.

Thanks!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this same infuriating squeak. Definitely the drivers side wiper, but unsure if it's the post (wiggles a lot... way more than the passenger side) or the cowl. Did the dealer end up replacing the wiper motor?
Mine was the cowl, replaced and noise gone

RebelliousGt

Reaction score

Yes, it was the drivers wiper post assembly, if it wiggles up and down it’s defective. They tightened it up the first time but it came back, it’s been replaced now and no issues, plus, it doesn’t move up and down anymore.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Way to tell the difference between whether it’s the cowl or the post, is to turn your wipers on when it’s squeaking , if it stops squeezing when the wipers move it’s the post, if its still squeaking then it’s probably the plastic cowl.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turned on my wipers this morning and squeak stopped. So, I pushed the seal down and put a little silicone grease on the post. Will see if it comes back. I didn even think to see if the post moved. Will check later.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Turned on my wipers this morning and squeak stopped. So, I pushed the seal down and put a little silicone grease on the post. Will see if it comes back. I didn even think to see if the post moved. Will check later.
It was the bolts that attached the wiper post to the body, so they replaced it because it’s not supposed to wiggle or move up and down. The thing I noticed about wd40 or any lubricants, is that it eventually washes away. If the noise comes back, just go to the dealership, go up to a new truck on the lot and try to move or wiggle the drivers wiper post and show the service manager. That’s what I did and they agreed, it was faulty.

Jewelsedge

Reaction score
Mine goes in next week...this has been driving me crazy for the last 15 months. I thought all this time it was a clip under the HUD cover. I wiggled my wiper arm and she's a squeeler!!

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Mine goes in next week...this has been driving me crazy for the last 15 months. I thought all this time it was a clip under the HUD cover. I wiggled my wiper arm and she's a squeeler!!
There you go, found your issue with the squeak

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/