5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5'7" vs 6'4" bed

spyder

Reaction score
I've got a '21 Rebel and the short bed is one of the two things I don't like about it. The other being the tiny fuel tank. 23 gallons is silly.

It didn't bother me until I left for a couple week long hunting trip and couldn't fit my normal gear in it. Guess that's what happens when I go from a Megacab to this tiny thing.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had an 8' bed years ago, but it wasn't family friendly. So, sold it and got a 4', then a 5' and now the 5'7" feels pretty big.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
5'7 is kinda short but I wanted Ramboxes, and the new design so I was stuck getting a 5'7.
I either would of needed to drop the Ramboxes, or get a 2500 with the older design and missing features from the 1500

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
I have the 6’-4” bed. And it seems the overwhelming majority of respondents agree. But I don’t understand this since I see vastly more short beds on the road and at the dealership, and I thought I was in the minority.

I would not buy a short bed as for me using the truck to take care of my property, which involves a lot of stuff in the back was the biggest consideration (even over towing).

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the 6’-4” bed. And it seems the overwhelming majority of respondents agree. But I don’t understand this since I see vastly more short beds on the road and at the dealership, and I thought I was in the minority.

I would not buy a short bed as for me using the truck to take care of my property, which involves a lot of stuff in the back was the biggest consideration (even over towing).

Don't let this thread fool you. I believe the 5'7" bed outsells the 6'4", 2 to 1. @Eighty can probably confirm those numbers.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Don't let this thread fool you. I believe the 5'7" bed outsells the 6'4", 2 to 1. @Eighty can probably confirm those numbers.
Judging solely by what I see on the roads in my area I'd say you're right. I see a lot more crew cabs with the 5.7 beds than I see with the 6.4 beds. I do see quite a few of the quad cabs with 6.4 beds though.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
More like 4:1.
The Crew/5-7 configuration is about 80% of total production for 2023.
Crew/6-4 is ~9%, and Quad/6-4 is ~11%.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
That's the wonderful thing about statistics, in this case, they indicate availability, not preference.
I wanted a 6'4" bed but try to find a limited 4x2 with a 6'4" bed. Until very recently, the RAM build pages wouldn't even let you build it.

If I buy another truck with a 5'7" bed, it will be simply because I now have a 5'7" bedslide and custom aluminum tonneau cover. Oh, and because that's all that Ram has available without doing a custom order.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wanted a 6'4 bed but wanted rambixes, so I got stuck with a 5'7 unless I wanted an older generation 2500 and to lose features

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the short bed clearly outsells the long, but the data is suggesting that since people have recently tended to custom order exactly what they want, the long bed take rate has nearly doubled, at least at Ford - still low.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the 5'7" on my 2014 1500. More than a few times over the years I wished I had the longer bed. So, I knew I wanted the 6'4" on the new truck. I searched extensively for the right combination of options and color with the longer bed but couldn't find anything - no matter how far I was willing to travel. I started giving up on some of the options, and even on the colors, but still couldn't find anything without making too many concessions. So even though I needed a truck right away, I bit the bullet and decided to order one and put up with the hardship the waiting was going to cause. It took about three months - felt like seven - but it was well worth it.

- BY THE WAY - - - - No one, and I mean no one, buys a 6'4" bed and gets it home and says out loud or under their breath "I wish I got the smaller bed". Just sayin'

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
depends on what kind of offroad you're looking to do.
i've wheeled nearly everyweekend starting 2020 in my 5th gen 4runner and that thing has a shorter overall length than the Ram with 5'7" and with a Kings 2.5 lifted 2.5 inches and 33s I was able to go through most obstacles without a care.
then, with my Rebel on stock wheels and tires (33 in) and Fox 2.5 lifted 2.5in over stock non-ORG/ Rebels, I managed to hit my tailpipe hard and dragged it going through one of the steeper climbs, and then my fuel tank skid got scraped and dented while I was crawling over a very rutted hill 10 minutes later.

A few observations:
-Hitting the tailpipe was definitely driver error. I am not used to how long the 5'7 is on the trail, and instead of slowly starting the climb in 4L i just gunned it in 4H like I used to do with the 4R. Had I started the climb slow and make sure my rear end cleared, I'd probably just tap the pipe on the rock or at worst, dragged it instead of slamming my rear end on the rock.
Solution: get used to how long the damn truck is and stop gunning for it every time lol. also a set of 35s may help with departure angle.

-Hitting the fuel tank skid was for sure hardware issue. After the tailpipe incident I quickly learned my lesson and started to crawl over big obstacles instead of just gun through them. And yet, due to the long wheelbase, the breakover angle suffered. And so my fuel tank scraped and dented. But good thing there's about 2 inches of gap between the skid and the tank.
Solution: a set of 35s or even 37s will for sure help with breakover, as it creates more ground clearance. In this incident, that few inches does make a difference.

Conclusion:
If you're doing offroading often, especially climbing, breaking over, and desending, a 5'7 will be better due to shorter wheelbase (more nimble, especially with breakover angle).
If you're doing a lot of camping that don't require going through tons of difficult rated trails, go with a 6'4.
The only time I long for a 6'4 is when I look at my roof tent sticking out the back of the bed, and that's about it. Through my 4K miles of ownership so far and all the wheeling and camping I had, not once did I tell myself "I should've got a 6'4."

Users who are viewing this thread