5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5100 Questions

Gren71

Reaction score
I have 5100s all around ready to go on. I was hoping to have a shop do it because the struts are intimidating, but no one around me will do it so its up to me. Ive watched a handful of install videos, read the install instructions from the manufacturer, and went through the forum search for every thread I could find with "5100" in it. I feel relatively confident with doing the install myself but have a couple questions.

1) Does the orientation matter when they go back in? As in if the isolator on top is facing in a different direction will that change the characteristics or the strut?

2) will the truck need an alignment after ra attaching the UCA ball join to the knuckle?

3) has anyone confirmed that the second position for the struct clip does in fact provide 0.5in of lift? or less?
-- Im looking for MAYBE 1/4 in at most. It sounds weird but after recently install the cargomax 893HD rear springs I have my WDH dialed in really well. Im hesitant to change the front height as it will alter that setup some. As it is the rear sits about 1in - 1/14in higher that the front while towing. Id hate to add 0.5in to the front and now all of the sudden im sitting nearly level front to rear while towing.

4) ive rear on the forum that some folks put no seize on the shocks during install to allow for easier adjustment later on. Which bolt would that be best on? I wont do it to the three top strut bolts for fear of them loosening on their own.

5) does anyone have any specific dos and donts for the install? after reading through the forum ill be sure to put the bottom plate on correctly, but id love to hear some other tips.

Yes on the alignment.
Use something like straps to help support the weight of the hub assembly it really does help. Assuming you have also watch some videos. But here is one just in case. My passenger side gave me a real hard time to release the ball joint

Yes on the alignment.
Use something like straps to help support the weight of the hub assembly it really does help. Assuming you have also watch some videos. But here is one just in case. My passenger side gave me a real hard time to release the ball joint
ty! Ill watch that when I get a moment. is the alignment just because of the UCA? Or only necessary if you are adding height?

Anytime you pull apart suspension it needs an alignment.
Not true, but any time you change anything in the suspension geometry, it needs an alignment. Which is what he is doing.

It's not a bad idea to have it checked after doing any work, but "need" is not true. All depends on what you did

Not true, but any time you change anything in the suspension geometry, it needs an alignment. Which is what he is doing.

It's not a bad idea to have it checked after doing any work, but "need" is not true. All depends on what you did
ty for the clarification. I was planning on having it checked anyway after it all, but especially if i end up adding the 0.5in...which im hoping only adds less than 0.5in

I'll add my two cents here...
1st cents..be very careful taking the strut in and out..I barely nicked the edge of my LF CV boot on the axle shaft and made a miniscule slit in the boot edge, which then slung grease everywhere when test driving, and lightened my wallet by an additional $540 bucks!! (at least swapping the axle in and out was an easy job!).
2nd cents..my 1.625" front level didn't really change my camber much (using a bubble guage), but I'm sure my Toe Angle has to be off at least a little bit..BUT, I actually really like the fact that now the steering wheel feels tighter/stiffer On-Center and has noticeably faster Turn-In when I start to make a turn! The steering just feels sportier. I'll get it aligned when I order a new Wheel/Tire Combo soon, but for now I'm in no hurry.
If your doing 0.5" lift, your really not going to affect Camber or Toe very much at all, so no hurry on alignment (do it when convenient)..again my 2 cents though.

Here's one that most never mention. DO NOT USE LOANER SPRING COMPRESSORS. The loaner spring compressors are weak and don't work well with heavy duty springs. I bought some heavy duty spring compressors from Amazon and they worked great. The loaner sets start bending under the extreme pressure making the job more sketchy.

Here's one that most never mention. DO NOT USE LOANER SPRING COMPRESSORS. The loaner spring compressors are weak and don't work well with heavy duty springs. I bought some heavy duty spring compressors from Amazon and they worked great. The loaner sets start bending under the extreme pressure making the job more sketchy.
100% agree!!👍

Ty! Ive had jeeps for years so i am VERY familiar with quality spring compressors. I have a set that I spent a good bit on. I actually used them to help install my first set of cargo max springs so I know they’re good enough to handle springs rated higher than the OEM ram springs for sure.

After doing it the wrong way I realized how I should have installed the springs and didn’t need the compressors for my second set. But they will certainly come in handy tomorrow.👍

FWIW

I decided to just go with the stock ride height. After measuring and overthinking and flip flopping for weeks i was undecided up until today.

I had my TT at my house and needed to get it back to storage. I used the opportunity to gather some more measurements. I have the WDH dialed in and the truck just feels so perfect while towing I really dont want to mess with any changes to the measurements. So stock it is!

I did the rears today and they were a breeze. Im sure it will be a fun experience tomorrow on the fronts.

Or just know how to use them and be careful. If they are bending it's because they aren't even compression between the two

job complete! Taking my time overall it really wasn’t that hard. I appreciate the last little bit of advice from y’all. Watching a ton of videos and thinking it through for a couple weeks before actually doing the job really really helped because it just was smooth as it could’ve been.

One thing I wasn’t prepared for the OEM Bump stops are sort of locked on to the struts by a small retention cap. Thankfully, I was able to knock it off with a chisel and the hammer and get the bump stops swapped over. You’ll see what I’m talking about below.

First test drive and these shocks are night and day better over the stock ones. Definitely worth the money.
IMG_4573.jpegIMG_4574.jpegIMG_4571.jpegIMG_4578.jpegIMG_4579.jpegIMG_4576.jpegIMG_4575.jpegIMG_4577.jpeg

job complete! Taking my time overall it really wasn’t that hard. I appreciate the last little bit of advice from y’all. Watching a ton of videos and thinking it through for a couple weeks before actually doing the job really really helped because it just was smooth as it could’ve been.

One thing I wasn’t prepared for the OEM Bump stops are sort of locked on to the struts by a small retention cap. Thankfully, I was able to knock it off with a chisel and the hammer and get the bump stops swapped over. You’ll see what I’m talking about below.

First test drive and these shocks are night and day better over the stock ones. Definitely worth the money.
View attachment 191423View attachment 191424View attachment 191425View attachment 191426View attachment 191427View attachment 191428View attachment 191429View attachment 191430
Great job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.
Back