5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

500 miles and towing break in

Bubba67

Reaction score
I just leased a new 1500 Laramie, and read I read in the owners manual to not tow till it has 500 miles on it. Then, when towing for the first time, to not exceed 50 mph for these miles. The way I read it, when I first tow my camper on the interstate, I can't go over 50 mph, for 500 miles? Is this correct?

Thank you!

• Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
• Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

Bubba67

Reaction score
That is how I read it with my 2023. Was really hard to drive that slow for 500 miles!
Thanks for the quick reply. I cannot believe they require this, crazy. I also wonder how many buy new 1500's, break the truck and then tow heavy at 70 mph because they are not aware of this.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just leased a new 1500 Laramie, and read I read in the owners manual to not tow till it has 500 miles on it. Then, when towing for the first time, to not exceed 50 mph for these miles. The way I read it, when I first tow my camper on the interstate, I can't go over 50 mph, for 500 miles? Is this correct?

Thank you!

• Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
• Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

Different makers may vary in the specifics, but basically want to wear the high and sharp spots off machined surfaces before applying full load, thereby minimizing hot spots that might gall or ruin heat treat.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I cannot believe they require this, crazy. I also wonder how many buy new 1500's, break the truck and then tow heavy at 70 mph because they are not aware of this.
I think most people don't read the manual and many trucks are driven very hard on test drives during break-in and probably most a fine. This part of the manual has been updated a couple times as it was different for my 2019 then my 21 or 23. I figure if I wad able to do what the manual says I might as well since it could be beneficial longer term to me or the next owner.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not tow for the first 500, but did not follow the 50mph for first 500 towing.. by the time I towed something worth mentioning I'm pretty sure I had over 5k miles on the truck and was on the second oil change. At 65k miles now with no unusual problems that other RAMs don't have.. sad we have to preface that.

rick619

Reaction score
I would interpret this as the following:

1. Don't tow until you have 500 miles on the truck. (sounds reasonable)
2. When you do tow for the first time, take it very easy on the gas. Especially if you still have low miles on the truck. No drag racing with the trailer attached...

I did pull up the break in instructions that came with my Jeep gears. It also states a 500 mile break in period, mentions no towing. Also mentions the first tow should be less than 15 miles, then let it cool before continuing.

So probably a good idea to keep the first tow short if possible, or stop to let it cool down.

For my Jeep, I talked with my gear installer and asked him about the 15 - 20 miles since I was about 35 - 40 miles from home. He did advise stopping half way and let it cool down for 20 - 30 minutes. I stopped for lunch.

Gears.jpg

Last edited:

Ramfancy

Reaction score
50mph for 500 miles towing seems a little extreme for me. It’s a CYA statement for the company is my guess.

I towed a lighter pop up camper that weighs around 3500 lbs for a 200 mile camping trip. I stayed off the expressway and stayed 50 or under most of the time. I went 55 on roads that allowed part of the time. There was a decent route I could take that avoided the expressways on this trip.

I took it easy on the gas pedal for a couple more trips but went the 70-75 mph speed limits on the expressway. The back roads are too bumpy and people might start shooting if I went 50 in a 75….

I doubt many people read the manual so closely. I think the vast majority just hook up and tow when they want to. This 8speed transmission seems pretty durable. I don’t see many issues with the transmission on the forums and they seem to be the first place people with issues seem to go….

rick619

Reaction score
50mph for 500 miles towing seems a little extreme for me. It’s a CYA statement for the company is my guess.

I towed a lighter pop up camper that weighs around 3500 lbs for a 200 mile camping trip. I stayed off the expressway and stayed 50 or under most of the time. I went 55 on roads that allowed part of the time. There was a decent route I could take that avoided the expressways on this trip.

I took it easy on the gas pedal for a couple more trips but went the 70-75 mph speed limits on the expressway. The back roads are too bumpy and people might start shooting if I went 50 in a 75….

I doubt many people read the manual so closely. I think the vast majority just hook up and tow when they want to. This 8speed transmission seems pretty durable. I don’t see many issues with the transmission on the forums and they seem to be the first place people with issues seem to go….

I'm sure it would be fine to just take it easy on the gas pedal that first time.

Users who are viewing this thread