5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 etorque noise at low rpm

2020nightlaramie

Reaction score
Hey guys

For several months I’ve noticed a buzzing sound between 1800-2000 rpm which is usually only noticeable in the the first several gears.Best way to describe is it sounds like a bad heat shield vibrating and only happens when driving and not when revving in park. It seems like it’s on the left side of engine bay but difficult to be certain.

I’ve had dealer and 2 separate shops inspect and one even did it somehow with truck in gear when they changed my tires. The mechanic that replaced my tires couldn’t identify it after a fair amount of time, and my dealer thought it was was a faulty left axle but that didn’t help at all. Both looked for heat shields and dust guards with no luck. I also saw someone mentioned holding the hood release at tension because that caused a similar problem for them but not working for me.

I bought this 2020 laramie used and had numerous abuse issues the dealer hid from me that have luckily been repaired under warranty but I’m wondering if this could be an etorque issue being that it is on the left side of the engine?

Truck has 74k miles, and otherwise running great now. If anyone has any insights I would love to hear them all as this is annoying now but I’m worried it could be costly later after extended and other warranty runs out. While on the topic are there other signs of etorque failure to look out for?

Thanks in advance

Five_O_Nomad

Reaction score
When mine went out it sounded the same. I took off the belt and started the truck (so the E torque wouldn't be spinning as fast) and the sound went away. I took it into a JDR dealership and it was covered under a special electrical warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread