5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 eTorque Gotchas?

834k3r

Reaction score
Got a '21 Laramie with the 5.7L Hemi and eTorque. I'm familiar with what eTorque does, but are there any new owner tips/tricks/gotchas?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got a '21 Laramie with the 5.7L Hemi and eTorque. I'm familiar with what eTorque does, but are there any new owner tips/tricks/gotchas?
No worries, really.

You might practice with light deceleration (to see if/when you can detect regenerative braking). When I get it right, it saves me having to ride the brake in stop and go traffic.

You might also try different levels of reaction time and pedal force when pulling away from a stop (to find the best "rhythm" with the stop/start system). I've chirped the tires a couple of times when I forgot the truck was off and just punched it away from a light ;)

834k3r

Reaction score

834k3r

Reaction score
You might practice with light deceleration (to see if/when you can detect regenerative braking). When I get it right, it saves me having to ride the brake in stop and go traffic.
That could come in handy--though thankfully I don't spend a lot of time in traffic where I live.

You might also try different levels of reaction time and pedal force when pulling away from a stop (to find the best "rhythm" with the stop/start system). I've chirped the tires a couple of times when I forgot the truck was off and just punched it away from a light ;)
I imagine I'll get to this point (chirping the tires after forgetting engine was off). I would think that's hard on the engine/transmission...

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the autostop can be turned off, can't it? I want to say I read that somewhere (though I can't remember where I may have read it).
Yes, you simply have to turn it off every time you start the truck which is fine.

Or you can use the Eliminator and it will stay in the setting (on or off) you put it in until you press the Stop/Start button again.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine I'll get to this point (chirping the tires after forgetting engine was off). I would think that's hard on the engine/transmission...
Nah. The BSG starts the truck moving, and the engine transitions pretty seamlessly.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the autostop can be turned off, can't it? I want to say I read that somewhere (though I can't remember where I may have read it).
Just don't wear your seatbelt....lol.
Unsnapped mine at a drive thru and the engine started. Scared me pretty bad.

After coming from a truck that had stalling issues, I'm still a bit gun shy about the motor going on and off at stop lights. 🤣

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much can the generator brake the truck?
I don't know that I've really felt a difference in braking feel, like the pads might be starting to grip harder while the generator is in regen mode.

BobK

Reaction score
This is my 5th vehicle with auto stop/start and its the first vehicle that i dont turn it off every time i get in. With the etorque its so incredible smooth and responsible... its just great.

XoVoX

Reaction score
The eTorque is great on my truck. I immediately hated it because I compared it to every other auto start vehicle I've ever had or driven but once I watched the video about it where the engineer talks about the 6 different modes i leave it on now. constant start/stop traffic can be annoying but i dont have any issues with responsiveness.

Oh, and I do feel the regenerative braking. If you let off the gas and coast, you'll feel it grab. It slows you down faster than you would normally estimate so it takes some practice.

Users who are viewing this thread