5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 engine failure

Jdt425

Reaction score
Anyone else have a 5.7 engine failure? My truck is a 2019 with 163k. It started to puke antifreeze and oil mix while out one day. The oil didn’t have contamination. I towed to dealer and they replaced the oil cooler and now contamination on the oil after testing the repair. So now they have to tear down motor. Good news have mopar unlimited warranty. But out of a truck for several weeks and looking at a month.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe there was 1 other person that had the engine replaced but he had less than 20k .

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They fail, it happens. I have seen 400 mile engines fail.

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
I had a 2019 Classic with the 5.7 that had the cam bearings go out around 90 thousand Kms. PP oil and Mobil 1 filters changed when the oil life monitor told me to. they replaced every moving part in the engine with the exception of the crank and rods/Pistons (under warranty) before concluding that the camshaft bearings were gone. It definitely happens. not sure if it makes a difference, but I now change the oil on my 2022 sport when the OLM indicates 40% life remaining. I personally believe the oil change intervals are too long if you just follow the OLM, but each to their own. more frequent changes are cheap insurance if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Luck of the draw. If it’s mechanical, it can fail.
My 2015 Hemi had just over 140 when I traded it in, I always changed my oil when the reminder was between 5 and 10% life remaining. Used conventional, either at dealer or local LOF place if dealer was backed up.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Anything mechanical can fail but that's up there in miles. Granted, you should see these motors last, as a whole, for 200k or more. At least you have the unlimited warranty. They discontinued that right around the time I bought my extended. I would have gladly paid up for the unlimited. Look at it this way, you get a brand new motor. Your truck just got a new lease on life.

Mike7311

Reaction score
Did you service your antifreeze during that 160k and did you use only mopar antifreeze. Newer vehicles are much more sensitive to fluid breakdown.

Users who are viewing this thread