5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4x4 Auto Question

flyinverted

Reaction score
2020 1500 4x4 new to me.
Did some off-roading in 4WD-AUTO with a moderate slope up to the main road. Once on the main road, it seemed like the truck was in 1st or 2nd as anything over 20(ish) mph caused the engine to go over 3k easily. I pulled the side of the the road switched to 2WD and continued with same result as if I was in 1st or 2nd gear. Shut her down, started back up and all was Ok. How should I have handled that ?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2020 1500 4x4 new to me.
Did some off-roading in 4WD-AUTO with a moderate slope up to the main road. Once on the main road, it seemed like the truck was in 1st or 2nd as anything over 20(ish) mph caused the engine to go over 3k easily. I pulled the side of the the road switched to 2WD and continued with same result as if I was in 1st or 2nd gear. Shut her down, started back up and all was Ok. How should I have handled that ?
Any lights on the dash? 4-auto is really more for times of reduces traction on the road. If actually going off road in loose dirt 4-high would have been better option. But I don't know that using 4-auto was really the issue in your case.

flyinverted

Reaction score
Any lights on the dash? 4-auto is really more for times of reduces traction on the road. If actually going off road in loose dirt 4-high would have been better option. But I don't know that using 4-auto was really the issue in your case.
No lights on the dash, and after reading the manual (who does that now ?) I agree, 4-high would have been a better choice.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How old is the battery?
My Ram would not come out of 1st gear. I only had less than a 2 mile drive to home. I letf it for a hour or two and I had no problem. Two weeks later I had more issues. Replaced the battery under warranty, it was 2 years old.
My understanding is the Ram does "load shedding" when the battery is run down.

Did you do anything prior to starting the Ram that would have drained down the battery?

Post 552

Reaction score
You were fine using 4Auto, I do it all the time when off roading. I’m thinking you hit the gear limiter and it reset when you turned the truck off and back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread