5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd question?

Thecico3

Reaction score
So this is my first 4wd truck. I have a couple Q's My truck is 2019 ram 1500 big horn with 4x4 with no elec locker button.......

First is, do these trucks have open difs, electronic locker and Mechanical lockers? Or do they only have electric or mechanical lockers and no more open diffs?

2nd question is do the front axles lock? or is it an open dif or some type of locker system? I know the Electronic locking button some of the trucks have ONLY locks the rear... so where does that leave the front?

And if i do have open dif in the rear... and the front dif is open as well.... then my 4x4 is a glorified 2wd which is beyond lame.

R

Rob5589

No E-locker button, no locker. It may have an Anti-Spin (limited slip) in the rear. Your window sticker or build sheet will have it listed. The front is an open differential. If open on both ends, yes, sort of a 2wd, sort of not. Having one wheel in rear and one in front is better than just one in the rear. If you have traction control, that will compensate for wheel spin somewhat.

Thecico3

Reaction score
No E-locker button, no locker. It may have an Anti-Spin (limited slip) in the rear. Your window sticker or build sheet will have it listed. The front is an open differential. If open on both ends, yes, sort of a 2wd, sort of not. Having one wheel in rear and one in front is better than just one in the rear. If you have traction control, that will compensate for wheel spin somewhat.
only thing i see on my window sticker is 3.21 ratio, electric Roll mitigation and electric stability control.... which i dont even know how that works.. and if i do have an open dif and i add antispin later on then tech its a 3 wheel drive... lol

R

Rob5589

only thing i see on my window sticker is 3.21 ratio, electric Roll mitigation and electric stability control.... which i dont even know how that works.. and if i do have an open dif and i add antispin later on then tech its a 3 wheel drive... lol

True, which is a very common configuration. I was actually searching for options in the front end but could not find any.

If you search the Dodge Ram website, there is a section where you can enter your vin and will give you the build sheet in it's entirety.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! The DT trucks can be had with three different types of rear differential, and one type of front differential. It has been covered multiple times on this forum. Cruise around and you'll find tons of available info on how these trucks can be configured, and how to tell what you have if you're not sure.

You either get an open rear diff, a clutch type limited slip rear diff, or an electronically controlled locking diff, that operates as open until you tell it to lock fully.

The front is open, period.

Even with open diffs, these trucks do have traction control, that helps shuffle power to non-spinning wheels in low traction situations, and it works in both 2wd and 4wd modes, on both axles.

If you didn't see "anti-spin" or "Electronic Locking" differential on your window sticker, your truck is running two open diffs, just like mine.

If you're looking for advise on upgrades, or further info on how any of the other systems work, jump into the many discussion threads on these topics.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dont depend just on the window sticker, use the VIN decoders or a build sheet. Some trucks dont list everything correctly on the window sticker, why IDK.

Users who are viewing this thread