5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd Not Working Properly

Thegame1985

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn E torque V6

I am having an issue with the 4wd not engaging. When I attempt to select any of the 4wd modes, the 2wd light stays on while whichever 4wd mode light blinks. I can hear the actuators moving. I have only gotten the "Service 4wd" light once.

From a cold start in Park it will shift into 4 HI and 4 Auto. If I put it directly into Neutral without stopping in the gear selector in Reverse, the truck will go into 4 Lo and the other 4wd modes. It is locking as it should when I do this and works as long as it is engaged.

But, the moment I let the truck move, I can shift back to 2wd but it will not go back into any 4wd mode. I can put the truck back in park, turn it off for 5 minutes or longer, and then I can shift to the 4wd modes again until the tuck moves again.

I didn't notice this problem until after my last oil change. I wonder if it could be caused by oil on the front actuator or the connector?

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back