5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 Gallon Tank Issue

Ryanww

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have the 33 gallon tank...My math is semi working out. That it was showing 1/8 of a tank on the gauge. It took 27 gallons to fill up, which the math ends up that 1/8 of a 33 gallon tank is around 4 gallons, putting me at 31 gallons. But the range gauge tells me I only have 346 miles, and before I stopped to fill up, it showed me having 36 miles left. Given I have had it driving around 4 hours and idling around 4-5 hours between work at the factory, the dealership, and because I work their I prepped it myself, and we have had a string of 95 degree days, so I was not going to sweat inside. Add in, I sat in it a few times to play with everything, and did not drive.

Thoughts from anyone. Think it's a math thing, form the idling, possible programming error? I'm pretty certain you cannot fit 27 gallons into a 26 gallon tank, so I am certain I have the right tank lol.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been a problem for a while. Most people don't notice that the math doesn't add up. I don't know how many years it goes back, 2015 for sure. FCA is working on a software fix.

Surprised it's a problem on the G5 Rams.

FLG8R

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have the 33 gallon tank...My math is semi working out. That it was showing 1/8 of a tank on the gauge. It took 27 gallons to fill up, which the math ends up that 1/8 of a 33 gallon tank is around 4 gallons, putting me at 31 gallons. But the range gauge tells me I only have 346 miles, and before I stopped to fill up, it showed me having 36 miles left. Given I have had it driving around 4 hours and idling around 4-5 hours between work at the factory, the dealership, and because I work their I prepped it myself, and we have had a string of 95 degree days, so I was not going to sweat inside. Add in, I sat in it a few times to play with everything, and did not drive.

Thoughts from anyone. Think it's a math thing, form the idling, possible programming error? I'm pretty certain you cannot fit 27 gallons into a 26 gallon tank, so I am certain I have the right tank lol.
This is something else to consider. FCA got caught short handed on the 33 gallon tanks and used the 31 gallon tanks from the 2500 Power Wagon.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is something else to consider. FCA got caught short handed on the 33 gallon tanks and used the 31 gallon tanks from the 2500 Power Wagon.

The math still doesn't add up. It's a software issue. A TSB was sent to dealers last year.... no fix as of yet. 610209c627dc97a1b76f575651fac5a1.jpg

Ryanww

Reaction score
This has been a problem for a while. Most people don't notice that the math doesn't add up. I don't know how many years it goes back, 2015 for sure. FCA is working on a software fix.

Surprised it's a problem on the G5 Rams.
The math still doesn't add up. It's a software issue. A TSB was sent to dealers last year.... no fix as of yet. View attachment 1163
I agree, that I know its been a known issue. But I'm unsure about the size, because the math comes very close to be 32 gallons or more... I am going to bug one of the Chrysler district reps to see if I can get an answer.

I also have one issue with my 12" Uconnect. I can transfer a call from my truck to my phone. Turn the truck off, Leave the truck, lock the truck, walk 20 feet away and the screen stays on with a timer running, until I disconnect the bluetooth on my phone.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, that I know its been a known issue. But I'm unsure about the size, because the math comes very close to be 32 gallons or more... I am going to bug one of the Chrysler district reps to see if I can get an answer.

Can't wait to see if you get a straight answer!

I also have one issue with my 12" Uconnect. I can transfer a call from my truck to my phone. Turn the truck off, Leave the truck, lock the truck, walk 20 feet away and the screen stays on with a timer running, until I disconnect the bluetooth on my phone.

Seems some of you are paying the price for being the first to have the new 12" system. Hope they can "update" most of the issues away soon for you guys!

GM convert

Reaction score
Mine is fine. I had 6 gallons of gas left with the gauge at the beginning of the red mark. I don’t go by miles to empty.

Users who are viewing this thread