5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#3 USB port and CarPlay

kingcole

Reaction score
Hi all. Hoping for a little info from the Ram gurus among you. I just picked up a 2019 Limited, and the #3 USB port in the rear portion of the console (the one that is supposed to work with/invoke CarPlay) does not. It functions as a charge-only port (basically both rear ports function in the same way, instead of one of them being connected to the CarPlay functionality).

I have a dealer “warranty” on this, but the only local in-network dealers are not Dodge/FCA. I’ve got the truck at the local Honda service trying to sort it out, but they are totally at a loss on how to diagnose the issue.

Hoping this is a “check the Uconnect system for a preference that turns that functionality on/off” or something. Otherwise, I’m going to have to drive the truck an hour or so to get it to a dealership that is trained on these vehicles.

So, anything I should know about this? Known issue? Sounds like hardware, or software, or…?

Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is this true USB inside the console lid? I could never get CarPlay to work on this one or the ones for the back seat passengers. Only the front two

Terrible_One

Reaction score
Same here. The USB inside the console lid does NOT work for CarPlay. Only the two in the front will work. Kind of dumb to even have one in the console if it doesn't provide playback...

1500DFW

Reaction score
One of the two in the back will work for CarPlay. One is charging and one is for data/charging. I don’t remember which is which. I used to use my wireless CarPlay dongle in it. However after a uconnect software update it ceased to function. Still charges but no data. Now only the front two will work for data.

kingcole

Reaction score
Yup. I've (supposedly) got the purchasing dealership running this down for me - hopefully will be able to get me in to see an actual Ram/FCA dealership to get going on this.

To my knowledge, the USB port in the center console lid is power only. What 1500DFW mentions is the issue I'm trying to sort: there are two USB ports on the rear side of the console: one of them is supposed to be connected to uConnect, and to trigger CarPlay/Android Auto (see stock pic below (not my truck, too lazy to go out and snap a pic! :)): it's the one marked "3." The other port (marked USB) is power only. console.jpg

I've had two 2019 Ram 1500s: in my old one, the ports worked as intended, triggering CarPlay if one of the backseat passengers was using it. In my current (2019 Limited), the #3 port has power and is recognized by the uConnect system as a media option, but does not trigger the CarPlay handoff. This is the epitome of a first world problem, but I'm trying to make sure it's not a symptom of a failing head unit or something, while I can still get it fixed on the dealer's dime.

I checked the software update tool on uConnect's website: supposedly I'm running the most current version. I wonder if that update shut down the functionality, as 1500DFW mentioned.

I reached out to the Ram Cares folks as well: I'll keep everyone posted about where this ends up. Thanks for replies, and the help.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. I've (supposedly) got the purchasing dealership running this down for me - hopefully will be able to get me in to see an actual Ram/FCA dealership to get going on this.

To my knowledge, the USB port in the center console lid is power only. What 1500DFW mentions is the issue I'm trying to sort: there are two USB ports on the rear side of the console: one of them is supposed to be connected to uConnect, and to trigger CarPlay/Android Auto (see stock pic below (not my truck, too lazy to go out and snap a pic! :)): it's the one marked "3." The other port (marked USB) is power only. View attachment 131263

I've had two 2019 Ram 1500s: in my old one, the ports worked as intended, triggering CarPlay if one of the backseat passengers was using it. In my current (2019 Limited), the #3 port has power and is recognized by the uConnect system as a media option, but does not trigger the CarPlay handoff. This is the epitome of a first world problem, but I'm trying to make sure it's not a symptom of a failing head unit or something, while I can still get it fixed on the dealer's dime.

I checked the software update tool on uConnect's website: supposedly I'm running the most current version. I wonder if that update shut down the functionality, as 1500DFW mentioned.

I reached out to the Ram Cares folks as well: I'll keep everyone posted about where this ends up. Thanks for replies, and the help.
What software version do you have now? I don't trust the Uconnect website. It told me my 2020 had the most recent updates even though there was an ulnewer version available. I upgraded to the newer version myself, and the weather radar which has never worked since I owned the truck started working. I have since updated to he 39.9 software and now I get the monthly vehicle health reports which I had never received previously.

NCLife

Reaction score
Nope, they are only there for looks.

Yesz they work.
I guess I should have been a bit more direct. Will the USB-C ports work for Apple CarPlay. I was asking the question in a thread on CarPlay and USB Ports. You always have to solve for the lowest common denominator though.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess I should have been a bit more direct. Will the USB-C ports work for Apple CarPlay. I was asking the question in a thread on CarPlay and USB Ports. You always have to solve for the lowest common denominator though.
Yes that’s what I’m using.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nope, they are only there for looks.

Yesz they work.
They don't work for me.
The C only work as charging ports, not for AA or Carplay.
I tried both of mine up front and only the A ports would let data pass.
I don't have anything deleted on my sheet.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They don't work for me.
The C only work as charging ports, not for AA or Carplay.
I tried both of mine up front and only the A ports would let data pass.
I don't have anything deleted on my sheet.
I have only used the USB-C ports in the front of my truck. Works just fine for charging and Android Auto. Have not tried using any of the rear ports for anything other than charging

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have only used the USB-C ports in the front of my truck. Works just fine for charging and Android Auto. Have not tried using any of the rear ports for anything other than charging
I have 2x2 ports in front, 1 type a in the centor console and 2x2 ports in rear.
I have never used the ports in back, but the center console only charges as expected, and only the 2 type at up front work for data.
They will power a device, but a connection for Carplay never happens.
Maybe its a quirk of UC5?

Users who are viewing this thread