5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 to 3.92 axle swap

Rubicon12

Reaction score
I came from a Jeep/Toyota/Ram 2500 background where if you didn’t like the gear ratio in your truck you just swapped them. I bought my ram 1500 this year with 3.21 gears because they were the only ones I could find in south Texas. My thoughts at the time were I would just swap in some 4.10 or 4.56 later along with some 35/37 inch tires and still have enough gears to tow.
After doing some research I found that a simple gear change is not possible on these trucks. Which leads me to my question. Has anybody successfully swapped the 3.21 to a 3.92 on their truck? I’m thinking I could get a front diff assembly and just have the rear diff gear swapped out? Is there a way to reprogram the computer so it recognizes the new gear ratio?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The gear ratio in the computer can be fixed with an electronic gizmo called a Tazer DT. The major hurdle is the front diff and how its integrated in the front end

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you search the forum, there was a guy a while back who was selling off the front axle(?) after doing just this, so I believe it's possible.

Bring your friends wallet with you though, you will need it as it's not cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread