5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.0 eco diesel in 5th gen Ram 1500

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, that's some strong proof ;-) Questions are:
(a) What did they do to the Gen-2 Ecodiesel to increase power and torque, and what did they to make the bottom ends hold up under the increased power?
(b) When will it actually be available on dealer lots?

Alfomichael

Reaction score
To answer question a:
For the Jeep Wrangler jl they announced torque and hp for the 3.0 eco diesel when they debuted it the new wrangler jl last year. And the numbers are 260hp and 440ft lbs of torque. which is 20 more hp and 20 more ft lbs than what the ecodiesel makes in the last gen ram and grand Cherokee. So I’m guessing it’s going to be the same numbers in the new 1500. They also released info on upgrades they made to the engine internally. You should be able to find that info easily.
Answer to question B: It will most likely be released around the 2nd quarter of 2019. That is mostly a guess though I haven’t seen any official information. People have caught camo trucks around Detroit with the diesel lately so I’m sure it will be released soon since final testing is being conducted.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...They also released info on upgrades they made to the engine internally. You should be able to find that info easily. ...

Well, you say that, but I have yet to find any details on what they might have done to improve the reliability of the bottom end of the original Ecodiesel. I regularly check 5thgenrams, TFL Truck, Pickuptrucks.com, Allpar.com, and so far I have seen no reference to any details regarding "internal upgrades". Can you say where a guy should look for that info?

Alfomichael

Reaction score
Well, you say that, but I have yet to find any details on what they might have done to improve the reliability of the bottom end of the original Ecodiesel. I regularly check 5thgenrams, TFL Truck, Pickuptrucks.com, Allpar.com, and so far I have seen no reference to any details regarding "internal upgrades". Can you say where a guy should look for that info?
5thgenrams has some info on internals made to the engine in a recent post of the a camo rebel caught testing with the Diesel engine around Detroit. I’m sure more information will be released in the coming months. Other than that I’m not sure. I’m sure FCA knows about the previous issues with the engine and have made improvements to remedy those issues with the updated engine.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I wouldn't rely on the Jeep hp/tq figures as the Ram figures. They very well could be the same figures, but both the Pentastar and Hemi have different hp/tq figures in the 1500 than they do in other applications, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ecoDiesel also has different figures in the 1500:
  • Pentastar: 285/260 hp/tq in the JL, 305/269 hp/tq in the 1500
  • Hemi: 360/390 hp/tq in the JGC, 395/410 hp/tq in the 1500

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I asked one of the guys at TFL Truck if, while they are all there at NAIAS in Detroit, would they please ask the Ram engineers for any details on the modifications made to the internals of the upcoming Gen-2 Ecodiesel ("ED-G2"). The reply I received is that TFL did ask Ram about the Ecodiesel but Ram's engineers had no comment.

Talisman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any valid rumors of the integration of etorque with the ecodiesel engine? I don't see an etorque housing nor do I see the alternator unit in these photos. I'm guessing it uses a standard alternator and I just can't see it in the photos.

Users who are viewing this thread