5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd set of wheels and tires... TPM Question

danaiveys29

Reaction score
2021 Ram Limited
I'm mostly a city driver, but I do want to go offroad for frequent weekend vacations. I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to swap out Wheels and Tires for these trips; for All-Terrain tires plus wheels that I don't care about damaging. I understand the physical labor involved all too well; turning off air suspension, jacking up the truck, and then swapping out the wheels physically.
I'm curious about how the TPM's will sync up. If I just have a second set of TPM's in the second set, will they automatically start working or is there a sync-up process?
Is there anything else that I should be cautious about?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you are just swapping for a weekend of 4 wheeling and then back, I am not sure I would spend the money on sensors. Off reading at its best will have you airing down and the sensors will go off.

Pretty sure you can air up and survive a trip home without having to rely on the truck telling you if you get a flat. It will be obvious when the truck starts to shimmy and you hear a funny flapping noise. That's the old school sensor.

Since the sensors are already set, they should just learn to the truck in a couple miles of driving when switching though. Just like doing a rotation.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My winter tire swap is usually done in less than 3 miles of local driving (25 mph or so, stop and go)
As per 2019 owner's manual.
"The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 20 minutes above 15 mph (24 km/h) in order for the TPMS to receive this information."

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
My winter tire swap is usually done in less than 3 miles of local driving (25 mph or so, stop and go)
As per 2019 owner's manual.
"The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 20 minutes above 15 mph (24 km/h) in order for the TPMS to receive this information."
Same here. My winter setup doesn’t even give me an indication (warning lights, etc) the connection with the TPMS was interrupted. It does take a few miles/minutes for the PSI to register correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread