5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

295/70/18 on 18x8.5 +0 - 2.5" level and ORP

Helmetface

Reaction score
I figured I would post up, as there are always, "will this fit?" threads going around...

295/70/r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 18x8.5 +0 Black Rhino Duggers.

So, yes. It fits, but that's a loaded yes!

20200614_175854.jpg

At the end of the day, the balance weights towards the inner side of the wheel were...well, they were ripped off by the caliper.

20200614_175623.jpg

Otherwise, no additional issues. No trimming, no scraping, nothing!

20200614_175532.jpg

And there it is! As you can see, I can wedge a weight between the caliper and wheel. No bueno.

Other than the weight/caliper calamity of 2020, the tires didn't come close to any other mechanical bits, nor wheel well plastics.

20200614_174842.jpg
20200614_174755.jpg
20200614_174727.jpg

Lastly, I am very much glad that I went with a +0 offset (4.75" backspacing). I wanted the tires to be just proud of the fender. I don't want crap all over the side of my truck, but enjoy the aggressive look of a little bit of poke.

20200614_174433.jpg

Lastly, a bonus pic demonstrating just how much bigger these 295's look versus the factory ORP 275's.

20200614_172435.jpg

As it stands, I need to grind down the caliper, rebalance the wheels and get an alignment. I have a road trip coming Wednesday, so time is precious!

They are currently set to 35psi al around, but I'm planning on bumping that up to 40ish.

Last edited:

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
im planning to do something similar to yours.... running 295/70r18 on a 2" top hat spacer lift instead of 2.5".

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks great.

Thanks for the pics. That is exactly why I canceled my order at the last minute and went with 20" wheels, reluctantly. Just not enough brake caliper clearance to dissipate heat and not have to worry about losing sticky weights.

Helmetface

Reaction score
Looks great.

Thanks for the pics. That is exactly why I canceled my order at the last minute and went with 20" wheels, reluctantly. Just not enough brake caliper clearance to dissipate heat and not have to worry about losing sticky weights.

I'm not worried about heat dissipation. I'll leave those concerns for the race car.

Regarding the weights, I'm at the tire shop now and they're going to throw some hammer on weights on the inner lip of the wheel and be done with it.

While it is more work having an 18" over a 20", I'm still glad I went this route. Most of us are "upgrading" our wheels and tires long before it needs to be done and its primarily for looks. At the end of the day, the 18 looks much better, to me.

Helmetface

Reaction score
Update time!

So, first off, my local tire shop is awesome. They charged $30 a corner for mount and balance, whereas every chain store wanted $150 a corner!

Anywho, I took it upon myself to shave the calipers a bit.

20200615_103440.jpg

I took out quite a bit of material on the passenger side, only to realize I would have to take out a lot more...

So I scrapped that method and brought the front tires back to the shop today. I explained what was going on and they suggested using some hammer on weights as well. These reside on the inside lip of the wheel, rather than in the well.

After work, I put the wheels back on the truck, checked all the bolts that I had loosened doing the lift (ALWAYS DO THIS!) And then took it out for a 50mi round trip test drive.

I'm happy to say that I have zero issues!

And by golly, these Nitto's are incredibly quiet for what they are. I was actually astonished.

I'm still running 35psi and likely going to up that by a few, but I'm overall very stoked with the whole setup.

And finally the wheel fully assembled! Only 92 bolts to secure the center caps and rock guards...
20200615_180006.jpg

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
Update time!

So, first off, my local tire shop is awesome. They charged $30 a corner for mount and balance, whereas every chain store wanted $150 a corner!

Anywho, I took it upon myself to shave the calipers a bit.

I took out quite a bit of material on the passenger side, only to realize I would have to take out a lot more...

So I scrapped that method and brought the front tires back to the shop today. I explained what was going on and they suggested using some hammer on weights as well. These reside on the inside lip of the wheel, rather than in the well.

After work, I put the wheels back on the truck, checked all the bolts that I had loosened doing the lift (ALWAYS DO THIS!) And then took it out for a 50mi round trip test drive.

I'm happy to say that I have zero issues!

And by golly, these Nitto's are incredibly quiet for what they are. I was actually astonished.

I'm still running 35psi and likely going to up that by a few, but I'm overall very stoked with the whole setup.

And finally the wheel fully assembled! Only 92 bolts to secure the center caps and rock guards...

you mind taking a few pictures of the wheels where the weights been hammered down? thx.

Helmetface

Reaction score
you mind taking a few pictures of the wheels where the weights been hammered down? thx.

Not mine obviously, but this is exactly what they look like. I'm done crawling on the ground for a couple days, lol.

20200615_193437.jpg

When I was younger and into cars, these "hammer on" style were far more popular than the stick on style, IIRC.

The tire tech said there's no disadvantage to using them. He just doesn't always prefer to on new wheels, because people get weird about you marring the inside of their new wheelset.

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
Not mine obviously, but this is exactly what they look like. I'm done crawling on the ground for a couple days, lol.

When I was younger and into cars, these "hammer on" style were far more popular than the stick on style, IIRC.

The tire tech said there's no disadvantage to using them. He just doesn't always prefer to on new wheels, because people get weird about you marring the inside of their new wheelset.

Oh... I see.... im old school..so as far as weights on the balanced wheels... ive always known that these are it....there are different styles nowadays???? LOL.

Helmetface

Reaction score
Oh... I see.... im old school..so as far as weights on the balanced wheels... ive always known that these are it....there are different styles nowadays???? LOL.

I hear ya, I am the same way.

The majority of what the shop used go inside the wheel, not on the lip. Scroll up to the marred metal tab with a "0" on it. Those are what is most prevalent these days, it seems.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
@Helmetface; looks great! Sorry to hear about the original balance weights not fitting. My shop went with the stick-on weights and no issues at all.

You'll love those Nitto Ridge Grapplers!

Helmetface

Reaction score
@Helmetface; looks great! Sorry to hear about the original balance weights not fitting. My shop went with the stick-on weights and no issues at all.

You'll love those Nitto Ridge Grapplers!

My man!

I'm so glad I stumbled across your wheels. I absolutely love them!

I'm not concerned about the weights or any extra efforts. I've never been one to take the easy route.

Regarding the Grapplers, I love them. I am absolutely amazed at how quiet they are! Truly, mind blowing.

I got my alignment today and for whatever reason I didn't look at the read out until after I left.

20200616_175127.jpg

I'm not sure what is going on with the right front camber. Almost would have been better of without the "alignment", minus the toe.

In any event, I'm taking 4 adults on a 250 mi+ one way adventure tomorrow. That'll be the true test!

Users who are viewing this thread