5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

285 or 295?

DSN46

Reaction score
Looks great.

Thought for the sake of others I'd add my experience. I just put on 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Xtreme tires on stock rebel wheels. These are specified as 34.3" diameter. With 1.5" wheel spacers and Bilstein 6112 set on 6 (~1.2" lift over stock in front), I had rubbing on the rear of the fender liner. Bent the metal tab liner support back/flattened it out and zip tied the liner to it for now. No heating/remolding of the liner. Rubbing is gone.
Thank you for adding your experience! It may be that the spacers caused the rubbing as pushing the tire outward sometime causes rubbing. Others have posted about the same experience with spacers.

DenCoRam

Reaction score
Thank you for adding your experience! It may be that the spacers caused the rubbing as pushing the tire outward sometime causes rubbing. Others have posted about the same experience with spacers.
Yeah definitely the spacers. Everyone needs to take into account effective offset for rubbing potential (whether through spacers or aftermarket wheels).

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm running 285/75/18 with .75" spacers in the front and 1" in the rear. I like the look of the taller tire myself but to each their own.

Got anymore pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flden33037

Reaction score
I'm running 285/75/18 with .75" spacers in the front and 1" in the rear. I like the look of the taller tire myself but to each their own.
Did you need the spacers to prevent rubbing on the UCAs or did you add them for a more aggressive stance?

NHjake98

Reaction score
Did you need the spacers to prevent rubbing on the UCAs or did you add them for a more aggressive stance?
I added them for a more aggressive look and to make the front even with the back since the back is .250" further in that the front.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Will the 285/75 rub anywhere on a stock height, stock wheel truck? I like the idea of switching to a 35” tire when I wear out my stocks, but I have no desire for a lift / spacers. From an earlier post I see that Goodyear claims it’s only a .2” width difference. The math says it’s .4”, and obviously it’s about 2” larger diameter.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have the off-road group I SUSPECT that they might not rub, provided no crazy off-road articulation.

Not a guarantee but folks with stock rebels have stuffed em in.

If you do not have the ORG, or if you don’t run on stock wheels, I’m pretty sure they won’t fit.

I’m running 295/70/18 on stock everything now and it sure looks like I woulda had room for another half inch of diameter, especially since it would be also 10mm narrower.

But that’s just keyboard conjecture & should be valued accordingly.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Well my Rebel will have the air suspension so I’m cautiously optimistic. But I’ll measure to be sure when the truck comes in and the tires are brand new. Thanks for the help. I didn’t wanna make a whole new thread so I figured I’d post on this one already discussing this dreadfully-repeated topic.

nickm

Reaction score
Did you switch out your spare to a 285/75/18? If so, any issues with getting the spare to fit underneath the truck?

cliffsta

Reaction score
How did the ride quality change when you went to the 285/75? Looks like that’s an E rated tire compared to the D rated stock tires. I really like the look of the 285/75 as it fills the wheel well better, and it’s a little taller.

NHjake98

Reaction score
Ride quality is the same. No loss of power and with the sway bar and falcon shocks it rides much better then stock. More importantly is that I didn't lose any MPG's :)

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
295/70R18’s on stock Rebel wheels with no wheel spacers. Just did a Readylift 2” Level w/UCA’s and that’s it. Zero rubbing even with Weathertech mud flaps. Plenty of clearance from the UCA’s. I went with the new Toyo Open Country R/T Trails. Ride is much better than the crappy Duratracs that were on it before. Per Toyo’s suggestion I run 49psi up front and 37psi in the rear. Very planted.

Attachments

• IMG_2696.jpeg
    IMG_2696.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2663.jpeg
    IMG_2663.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 139

Users who are viewing this thread